1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How do I solve for x in this equation?

1. Dec 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How can I calculate x in this equation: -x^3+6x^2-11.998x+8 = 0?

2. Relevant equations

--

3. The attempt at a solution

**I tried factoring, but how??
    **I know that the answer turns out to be x=2.16, but how did this come about?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2009 #2
    What course is this from? 2.6 is not an exact answer so maybe they want you to use newton's method? There are a few ways of solving this-- but the method will depend on what course you are taking.

4. Dec 30, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Cuisine123! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    It's a cubic, and you wouldn't be expected to know how to solve it in an exam.

(Basically, you put x = y + a so that the equation is of the form y3 + Ay + B = 0, and then use a formula)

Just use a calculator! :wink:

5. Dec 31, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

By the "rational root theorem" the only possible roots are [itex]\pm 1[/itex], [itex]\pm 2[/itex], [itex]\pm 4[/itex], and [itex]\pm 8[/itex]. If that "11.998" were "12", then 2 would be triple root. As it is, however, that equation has no rational roots.

6. Jan 5, 2010 #5
    There is an analogous formula for polynomials of degree three: The solution of ax3+bx2+cx+d=0 is

cubic.gif

7. Jan 5, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

shouldn't there be three solutions? :confused:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook