1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do i solve this possibility question

1. Oct 30, 2009 #1
    how do i solve this possibility question

a scientist does 2 experiments, whose outcomes are independant of each other.

the possibility of a positive result in experiment A is 0.9
    the possibility of a positive result in experiment B is 0.7

what is the possibility of a positive outcome in at least one of the experiments?

what i think i am looking for is P(A∪B) since i want either P(A) or P(B) or P(A∩B)

the problem is that i dont have enough information,
    the answer is 0.97, which is P(A)+P(B)-P(A)*P(B), but how do i get to this, am i wrong in saying that i am looking for P(A∪B) ? which equation can i use to find this answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the possibility neither experiment has a positive outcome?

How does this help you answer the question?

4. Oct 30, 2009 #3
    no not really, how can i find that possibility, i know that it is 1-P(A∪B), but how does that help

5. Oct 30, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the probability of a negative result for each experiment? Then remember that the experiments are independent, so what is the probability that both A is negative and B is negative in terms of each individual probability

6. Oct 30, 2009 #5
    A negative - 0.1
    B negative - 0.3

but from here what do i do, can i say that since they are independant P(A∪B)=P(A)+P(B), but that comes to more than 1,
    i see what you are saying, for the negative reult 0.1*0.3, but what rule is this??

7. Oct 30, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Assuming A and B are independent, [itex]P(A\cap B)[/itex]= P(A and B)= P(A)P(B).

[itex]P(A\cup B)[/itex]= P(A or B)= P(A)+ P(B)- [itex]P(A \cap B)[/itex]
    and that is P(A)+ P(B) only if [itex]P(A \cap B)= 0[/itex] (A and B are mutually exclusive) which can't be true if they are independent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook