1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I solve to find values for a and b?

1. Sep 7, 2013 #1

a and b are constant.

I need to find the values of a and b that will make the system a a)unique solution, b)no solution, and c)infinitely many solution.

4x - 2y = 9
    ax + by = 6

I know how to do it for a one variable constant. Say instead of a and b there was a k, but i do not know what steps to take to solve for two variable constant.

2. Relevant equations

3. I solve for infinitely many solution and i got a = 8/3 and b = 4/3.

but I'm having problems on solving for no solution.
    I tried to get the coefficients the same, but you cannot multiply it by any number to make it the same coefficient as the first equation. So, i just got a = 4 b = -2 from the equations. and that seems to work. i was wondering if that is correct to do.

For a unique solution, if i just plug in a = 4 and b = 2 that gives me two intersecting line. but i was wondering how do I actually solve it to get a unique solution. What are the steps?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I suggest you try to solve the equations and see what happens! If you multiply the first equation by b and the second equation by 2 you get 4bx- 2by= 9b and 2ax+ 2by= 12. Adding the two equations gives (4b+2a)x= 9b- 12. Now under what conditions does this have (a) a unique solution, (b)no solution, (c) infinite solutions.

4. Sep 7, 2013 #3
    Your solution for 'b' for infinite solutions is wrong....Check the sign
    When does a system of equation have no solution?

5. Sep 7, 2013 #4
    I thought a system of equations had no solution when they were parallel lines. If b = 2 it comes out as two intersecting lines when i graph it.

6. Sep 7, 2013 #5
    @hallsofivy im not understanding what your doing. Can you explain? How can you tell from this eq. alone
    (4b+2a)x= 9b- 12 if it satisfy the conditions?

because the way I solved for infinitely many solution was by multiplying 2 to the first eq. and 3 to the 2nd eq.

and got

8x -4y = 18
    3ax - 3by = 18

and from that i got a = 8/3 and b = 4/3

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  7. Sep 7, 2013 #6
    Indeed, as I said before check b's sign.
    Also a line has infinite parallels the one you found is just one of them.

8. Sep 8, 2013 #7

verty

Homework Helper

In this case you could convert each statement to the form y = mx + c, then it is should be very easy to read off the answers.

9. Sep 8, 2013 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You got "a= 8/3 and b= 4/3" to answer which question? You were asked to find conditions on a and b for three separate results.

It seems strange that you would be given a question like this if you did not know how to solve pairs of equations. I multiplied the first equation by b and the second 2 to get "-2by" and "+2by" so that, adding the equations, I eliminated y leaving an equation for x only, (4b+2a)x= 9b- 12. If the coefficient is not 0, we can divide both sides by it, getting a unique solution. If 4b+ 2a= 0 but 9b- 12 is NOT 0, the left side is 0 no matter what x is while the right side is not so there is no solution. Finally, if both 4b+ 2a= 0 and 9b- 12= 0 the equation is "0= 0" which is true for all x so there are an infinite number of solutions.

Of course, 9b- 12= 0 is the same as 9b= 12 or b= 12/9= 4/3 and then 4b+ 2a= 16/2+ 2a= 0 so that 2a= -16/3 and a= -8/3, not "8/3". a= -8/3, b= 4/3 give parallel lines so an infinite numbrer of solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted