Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do i stick two magnets against the repulsive force?

1. Jul 29, 2009 #1
    how do i stick two magnets against the repulsive force??

Hey guys,

I'm a new member on the forum and I have just finished school and joined electrical engineering this year. I would like to know how I can stick two magnets near each other against their repulsive force.

For example two magnets A and B can be stuck on a wooden board 5 cm from each other due to repulsive force. I would like to stick them 3 cms from each other. What kind of glue do I use? Epoxy?

I have not experimented yet because I wanted some advice first as some of these are costly neodynum magnets and have strong repulsive force.

note: I can not change(switch) the poles of the magnet.

Thank you.:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hey vidarth! Welcome to PF! :wink:
    "Neodymium" magnets also have a have strong attractive force, which (depending on their size, of course) can make them very dangerous.

Are you sure you should be doing this without expert supervision?

See for example http://www.kjmagnetics.com/safety.asp, or anything from a "neodymium magnets safety" google search. :smile:

4. Jul 29, 2009 #3
    Re: how do i stick two magnets against the repulsive force??

Hey,

thanks for the reply. Yes I have asked somebody (an expert) about the neodymium magnets and they told me that it was almost impossible to have a glue that could withstand the repulsive force of the magnet. So I've decided to switch to the standard ferrite magnets instead. Can you tell me if I can use epoxy glue for this??

5. Jul 29, 2009 #4

vk6kro

Science Advisor

I would get another piece of wood as thick as the magnets and drill holes in it with a spade bit so they are the right spacing and diameter for the neodymium magnets.
    Glue this to the wood you already have without the magnets in the holes. Just PVA wood glue is OK. Allow 24 hours for the glue to set.

When the glue has set put the magnets in the holes. If necessary, arrange a clamp to hold the magnets in the holes. This can be almost anything that is strong enough.

If appearance matters, and you can afford it, you could use perspex or plexiglass for the magnet holder.

As someone pointed out, Neodymium magnets tend to find each other very readily and you can get bruised or bleeding fingers if they get in the way.
    Also, they are brittle and chip easily if they collide violently.

6. Jul 29, 2009 #5

What size are the magnets? A pair of 6mm x 6mm x 6mm magnets will easily hold in place with epoxy. A pair of 60mm magnets, not so much.

How about first attaching supporting blocks to your mounting board -- kind of like bookends -- to physically restrain the magnets?

7. Jul 29, 2009 #6

Size of the magnets: 6mm

so I guess epoxide would do fine. Thanks for all the ideas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook