Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you calculate the Force of Attraction of two magnets?

1. Aug 10, 2017 #1
    I just took physics 2. We learned how to calculate the force of a magnetic field on a current or moving charges. What we didn't learn is how to calculate the force of attraction of two bar magnets or electromagnets for that matter. I'm building a coilgun and having a set of equations for this would come in really handy.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2017 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

You could imagine the bar magnet to be made up of small magnetic dipoles, i.e. the magnetization M is the dipole moment density. So you could derive first the magnetic moment of a dipole and the force it experiences in a homogeneous magnetic field (e.g. you can model it as an arbitrary small current loop) and then you can obtain the force between extended magnets integrating over the magnetizations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted