Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How To Calculate Position Two Magnets Will Attract And Lock

1. Sep 18, 2007 #1
    Hi All,

Do equations (or branch of study) exist for the following problem:

I have two (or more sphere magnets); can it be determined mathematically/classical-physics-equations what positions these two magnets will attract each other in and lock ?

In other words - these two sphere magnets have North/South poles. If I allow these two magnets to freely attract each other and lock - will the angle formed by lines running through their poles be predictable/deterministic ?

Hope this is a no brainer for someone out there....
    I'd appreciate any links/urls/key-words that I could use for further self-study on this topic...

Hope to hear from someone....

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2007 #2
    I am assuming that by 'lock' you mean touch?

if so I would think so, and it would be through applying maxwells equations. though since it has been well over 7 years since the last time i did that type of calculation i will have to look it up.
  4. Sep 18, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your help

Thanks very much Josh....

Yes - by locking I mean position they come to rest when touching.

Re: Maxwell's equations....that's exactly the help/direction I was looking for. A link to an example/sample solution discussing this problem would be very helpful - I'd be grateful if you could forwarded me a link/reference.

Now that I think about it - the 2-sphere magnet case will always be a staight line (180degrees) with the two sphere magnets always lining up end-to-end... with point of contact at opposite poles: N/S or S/N ? Right... opposites attract.

But what if 3 or more sphere magnets are involved; can the same equations be used to determine their relationship to eachother when the group is allowed to combine... OR again will the solutions be trivial ? either a straight line with poles end to end - or some kind of tendency to form cube forms....or will the relationships be more complex ?

Which I had a box of sphere magnets I could try out ;)

Any thoughts....
    Thanks very much....
  5. Sep 20, 2007 #4
    you know on my cab ride back to the hotel (on a buisness trip at the moment) I realized the same thing about the two spherical magnets problem. again by geometry I would assume that the three manet would form into some kind of triangular arrangement....

as to equations to determne this i still have yet to look it up...again I need to sit down with an E&M book, which I do nothave with me.
  6. Sep 20, 2007 #5
    No problem Josh...
    No rush ;)
    Have a look at the following when you have time:

From this article originally:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?