1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force between two magnets as related to distance

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    Hello,
    I am new to the forum, thus please be patient with me.

I have a little bit of a problem....

Currently working with magnets. Basically, I need to derive an equation for the attractive/repulsive force between two magnets given a distance between them. The most important thing is that these magnets not interfere with eachother, in other words I need the attractive/repulsive force to be zero.

Thoughts so far....
    - Newton's Universal Gravity equation
    - F = GMm/R²
    - manipulate the pull force of the magnet to derive a mass...divide pull force of magnet by 9.8m/s^2
    - need to set F to an infinitely small amount and solve for R

I do not get offended very easily, so if you need to completely slam my thoughts so far in order to get me on the right track, I understand.

Thank you in advance for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Magnet4less ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I'm not sure what you mean … do you mean you want the gravitational attraction between the magnets to be balanced by their magnetic repulsion? :confused:

(but if so, why are you using the value of g here on Earth?)

4. Apr 15, 2008 #3
    I'm trying to figure out how close I can place the magnets to one another without them visibly affecting each other.

5. Apr 19, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?