How do mathematica and maple solve cubics?

In summary, the OP asked about how Mathematica and Maple solve cubics. The wikipedia article discusses the history and method of solving cubics. If the OP wanted more specific information about symbolic computation, they could have asked for more information.
wumple
Hi,

Does anyone know how mathematica and maple solve cubics? Do they do it numerically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simon_Tyler said:

Not to be rude, but that link by itself isn't terrifically helpful for him.

I don't know the answer to your question, but Mathematica can solve an equation numerically or algebraically, depending on the instructions you give it. Do you have a spefic problem in mind?

I once tried to learn the basic of symbolic computation but it's not easy, I quitted :) They use very advanced algebra theorems for convergences and so on. The numeric codes should be as complicated as the symbolic ones as well. They're all highly optimized.

dreiter said:
Not to be rude, but that link by itself isn't terrifically helpful for him.

I agree -- but so many times on this forum, you put in a lot of effort into an answer and never get a reply.

Notice that the OP has not replied to your request for more information about whether their interested in symbolics or numerics.

The OP posted a one line question which showed very little hint that they'd done any reading on the subject - so I assumed they were just wowed by the large algebraic mess that solving cubics gives. The wikipedia article gives a good discussion of the history and method.

If the OP then wanted to be more specific about numerics or say symbolic factorization over various rings, then they could have come back and clarified their interest.

Well my understanding is that solving a cubic algebraically comes down to trisecting an angle, which is of course not terribly doable...for example, I put in coefficients that should give me a real root of -1 for the depressed cubic

x^3 + ax + b = 0

but if I make the substitution x = u + v and go through the algebra, I come up with something of the form

x = ((1+z)^(1/3) + (1-z)^(1/3))

So how do these programs get around this issue?

1. How do Mathematica and Maple solve cubic equations?

Mathematica and Maple use different algorithms to solve cubic equations, but both rely on a combination of numerical and symbolic techniques. They use methods such as factoring, polynomial division, and the cubic formula to find solutions.

2. Can Mathematica and Maple solve all types of cubic equations?

Yes, both programs are capable of solving all types of cubic equations, including those with complex or irrational solutions. However, the accuracy of the solutions may vary depending on the complexity of the equation and the specific algorithm used.

3. How accurate are the solutions provided by Mathematica and Maple?

The solutions provided by Mathematica and Maple are typically very accurate, but they may involve some rounding errors due to the limitations of numerical computation. It is always a good practice to check the solutions manually to ensure their accuracy.

4. Can Mathematica and Maple solve cubic equations with multiple variables?

Yes, both programs can solve cubic equations with multiple variables. However, they may require additional input or constraints to find a unique solution, as these equations can have infinitely many solutions in some cases.

5. Are Mathematica and Maple the only software programs that can solve cubic equations?

No, there are other software programs and programming languages that can also solve cubic equations, such as MATLAB, Python, and C++. However, Mathematica and Maple are specifically designed for mathematical and scientific computations, making them popular choices for solving complex equations.