How do water behave with no gravity - video

In summary, A movie showing a Sphere of Water piqued the interest of the conversation participants. One person expressed wanting a pair of them, while another found it useful for studying spherical harmonics and planetoid evolution. The conversation then moved on to a 2D standing wave demonstration and a website recommended by one of the participants. One person mentioned knowing an astronaut who was trapped on the space station, and the conversation concluded with a disagreement about the nature of the standing wave demonstration.
fargoth
found this, and thought you guys will enjoy it too =)
so here you go:
The movie

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool!

Wow, I want a Sphere of Water to play with!

hypatia said:
Wow, I want a Sphere of Water to play with!
I'd like a pair of them. Maybe it's cause I'm a guy.

This is so cool, the Effervescent demo is great!

zoobyshoe said:
I'd like a pair of them. Maybe it's cause I'm a guy.

They're obviously real...

A great way to study the spherical harmonics of Bessel functions, or the evolution of planetoids.

glad you like it, i thought you guy would appreciate it.
i also found a 2D standing wave demonstration:
The movie

and have a look at this site:
over here

That is way cool.

Don Pettit is one of the astronauts trapped on the space station after the last Shuttle disaster. I worked with his brother until he took early retirement a few years ago.

The whole set can be found http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/crew/exp6/spacechronicles_videos.html. I didn't see them on youtube.

Last edited:
fargoth said:
glad you like it, i thought you guy would appreciate it.
i also found a 2D standing wave demonstration:
The movie

and have a look at this site:
over here

i don't really agree that that is demonstration of a standing wave

ice109 said:
i don't really agree that that is demonstration of a standing wave

sure it is, the rice is vibrated off the parts with amplitude to the nodes, and that's why you get these shapes... it's mapping the nodes.

1. How does water behave in space without gravity?

In space, water behaves differently than it does on Earth due to the lack of gravity. Without gravity, water does not have a downward pull, so it forms into a spherical shape. This is because the molecules are attracted to each other and create surface tension, which allows the water to hold its shape.

2. Can water float in space without gravity?

Yes, water can float in space without gravity. Due to the lack of gravity, water does not have a downward pull, so it forms into a spherical shape. This allows it to float in any direction and even stick to objects.

3. How does water behave differently in microgravity compared to normal gravity?

In microgravity, water behaves similarly to how it does in space without gravity. It forms into a spherical shape due to the lack of gravity and surface tension. However, in normal gravity, water tends to flow downwards due to the force of gravity.

4. Can water freeze in space without gravity?

Yes, water can freeze in space without gravity. In fact, water can freeze at lower temperatures in space due to the lack of pressure. Without gravity, the water molecules are not as tightly packed, allowing them to freeze at lower temperatures.

5. How does the behavior of water in space affect astronauts?

The behavior of water in space can have an impact on astronauts. For example, without gravity, it can be challenging for astronauts to drink water from a cup or bottle. The water may float out of the container or stick to the astronaut's face. Additionally, water droplets can be hazardous if they get into the eyes or equipment. Therefore, astronauts must take extra precautions when working with water in space.