Unusual question about video experiment on YouTube

In summary, a man suspended a wooden toothpick on a spider's web single thread with a jar over it. He closed the straws around the toothpick to see if it would move. It did. It is not clear what is happening, but it may be a prank.
MulderFBI
Hello, I have found a YT video which shows some kind of experiment. You see a wooden toothpick suspended on a spider's web single thread and covered by a jar. Then a you see a man who holds a few plastic straws in his hand. He closes them to the toothpick and it slowly moves (which is seen if you click on various timelines in video in like 10-15 second interwals). What happens here?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't watch the video, but it seems like it could just be an electrostatic attraction effect? What is the mysterious part?

Likes MulderFBI
Looks like a Leyden jar:

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/the-physics-of-leyden-jars/

He's not showing you everything in the video like if he's rubbing the straws to create a charge on their surface. Also, the toothpick has a green coating on one half which most likely needed for the effect.

Likes MulderFBI and davenn
It is. not clear to me whether the toothpick follows the straws or the straws follow the toothpick.

Also, note the high level of background noise. Vibrations alone could explain the movement.

Likes MulderFBI and jedishrfu
I cannot understand the commentary but there is no clear indication of what's what. If it's some sort of 'magic' trick then he could be using a magnetised needle inside the 'pointer' and making it rotate with a magnet on his knee under the table.
What's actually going on?

He explains what's in a closed jar: a wooden toothpick with one side painted on blue/green (he doesn't say why). It's suspended on a spider's thread which is connected to wooden stick under the lid. He uses plastic drinking straws which are empty and he tries to show that. That's basically all.

So it could just be a spoof. I could have done it.

Ask him?

Likes sophiecentaur
CWatters said:
Ask him?
But, if it were a spoof, would he necessarily come clean about it? It would depend on his motives and there a lot of spoofs on Youtube.

sophiecentaur said:
But, if it were a spoof, would he necessarily come clean about it? It would depend on his motives and there a lot of spoofs on Youtube.

I will try to send him message. I tried to copy that experiment but it's hard to find spider's threads now in winter.

1. What makes a video experiment on YouTube unusual?

An unusual video experiment on YouTube is one that deviates from the norm and stands out in terms of its topic, approach, or execution. It could be something that has never been done before, or it could be a unique spin on a common experiment.

2. How can an unusual video experiment on YouTube contribute to scientific knowledge?

Unusual video experiments on YouTube can contribute to scientific knowledge by providing a new perspective or approach to a topic, sparking curiosity and interest in viewers, and promoting critical thinking and discussion. They can also inspire other scientists to conduct similar experiments and potentially lead to new discoveries.

3. Are there any ethical concerns with conducting unusual video experiments on YouTube?

Yes, there can be ethical concerns with conducting unusual video experiments on YouTube. It is important for scientists to ensure that their experiments do not harm any living beings, including human participants, and that they follow ethical guidelines and protocols set by their institution or governing bodies.

4. How can the validity and reliability of an unusual video experiment on YouTube be ensured?

To ensure the validity and reliability of an unusual video experiment on YouTube, it is important for scientists to design their experiments carefully, control for any confounding variables, and use appropriate statistical analysis. They should also be transparent about their methods and data collection process, and allow for peer review and replication of their results.

5. Can an unusual video experiment on YouTube be considered a credible source of information?

It depends on the experiment and the credibility of the scientist conducting it. While YouTube videos may not undergo the same rigorous review process as academic publications, they can still provide valuable information and insights. It is important for viewers to critically evaluate the experiment and the scientist's credentials before considering it a credible source of information.