How Do We Calculate Kinetic Friction and Net Force in a Donkey-Cart System?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CINA
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
CINA
Messages
60
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 255[kg] donkey is pulling on a cart with a horizontal force of 1940[N]. The mass of the cart is 520[kg] and the cart is rolling at a constant velocity of 0.72[m/s] to the left.

Find: a) The coefficient of kinetic friction for the wheel’s bearings of the cart.
b) The NET force (magnitude and direction) exerted by the surface on the donkey


Homework Equations


Not sure about these:

X) -Fc/d + Ff = 0 <-- Friction has to be in the direction of the motion since that's what causes it to move, right?

Y) Fn-Fg = 0

I think that's it.

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't really know where to be begin. Is 1940 N the force on the whole system, donkey plus cart? Do I need a FBD for donkey and cart or just one with both? I'm lost, please help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
CINA said:
I don't really know where to be begin. Is 1940 N the force on the whole system, donkey plus cart? Do I need a FBD for donkey and cart or just one with both?

Hi CINA! :smile:

1940 N is the force on the cart only.

For a) you need an FBD for the cart, for b) you need an FBD for the donkey. :smile: