Work done on two cart system with spring

In summary, you push the left cart to the right and it moves 0.50 m. The work done by you is 2.25J. The system's centre of mass moves 0.4 m. The spring is compressed by 30 cm and the energy in the spring is 2.25J.
Elena Polkadot

Homework Statement

Two identical 0.50-kg carts, each 0.10 m long, are at rest on a low-friction track and are connected by a spring that is initially at its relaxed length of 0.50 m and is of negligible inertia. You give the cart on the left a push to the right (that is, toward the other cart), exerting a constant 4.5-N force. You stop pushing at the instant when the cart has moved 0.50 m . At this instant, the relative velocity of the two carts is zero and the spring is compressed to a length of 0.30 m. A locking mechanism keeps the spring compressed, and the two carts continue moving to the right.

What is the work done by you on the two-cart system?
How far does the system's center of mass move while you are pushing the left cart?
By what amount do you change the system's kinetic energy?

2. Homework Equations

W= force * displacement over which force acts

The Attempt at a Solution

w= 4.5 * 0.5 = 2.25J
I feel like that is not correct because it is only the work done on the one cart, but how do I go about the entire system?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Elena, :welcome:

You may think it's wrong, but it isn't ! The work you do over this 0.5 m is nicely distributed over the two carts and the sping: you haven't just accelerated the cart you were pushing, but (through the spring) also the other one. And you have compressed the spring.

So on to the next step! What relationships do you have to solve that ?

centre of mass moves 0.4m. I got that through reasoning. Since the initial COM is at 25cm, and the final is at 15cm for the spring and the cart moved 20cm to compress the spring to 30 cm, then COM moved 10cm. Then the system continued moving for another 30cm, so the net COM displacement must be 40cm. I was wondering if there was a different approach to this. Something more "physic-sy" for lack of a better word.

And for change in kinetic energy: initial velocity is 0, so Ko=0, and Kf=1/2(m total)(vf)^2. =0.5*(0.5+0.5)(2.121)^2 =2.25J
so ΔK=2.25-0= 2.25J

finding Vf:
Fnet=4.5N=mtotal*a, so a=4.5/(0.5+0.5)=4.5m/s^2.
can use Vf^2=Vo^2+2aΔx
so Vf= √2(4.5)(0.5), Vf≅2.121m/s

Is my thought process for ΔK correct?

Elena Polkadot said:
centre of mass moves 0.4m. I got that through reasoning. Since the initial COM is at 25cm, and the final is at 15cm for the spring and the cart moved 20cm to compress the spring to 30 cm, then COM moved 10cm. Then the system continued moving for another 30cm, so the net COM displacement must be 40cm. I was wondering if there was a different approach to this. Something more "physic-sy" for lack of a better word.

And for change in kinetic energy: initial velocity is 0, so Ko=0, and Kf=1/2(m total)(vf)^2. =0.5*(0.5+0.5)(2.121)^2 =2.25J
so ΔK=2.25-0= 2.25J

finding Vf:
Fnet=4.5N=mtotal*a, so a=4.5/(0.5+0.5)=4.5m/s^2.
can use Vf^2=Vo^2+2aΔx
so Vf= √2(4.5)(0.5), Vf≅2.121m/s

Is my thought process for ΔK correct?
I feel like ΔK should not be the same at work.

How much energy is there in the spring after the push ?

W=Espring + Ek. Ek=1/2(mtotal)(vf)^2 and Espring=1/2(k)(x^2)

To calculate spring energy I need the k value, right? because Espring=1/2*k*x^2. Since I do not have a k value given in the question, how else could I calculate the energy in the spring?

Or ΔK=Kcm since relative velocity of the two carts is zero.

Elena Polkadot said:
W=Espring + Ek. Ek=1/2(mtotal)(vf)^2 and Espring=1/2(k)(x^2)
Yes, so I don't think you can come much further than ##\Delta E_k = 2.25 {\rm \ J \ }- {1\over 2}k(0.2)^2##

Unless you are supposed to work this all out by integrating the equations of motion ?

--

Elena Polkadot said:
centre of mass moves 0.4m. I got that through reasoning. Since the initial COM is at 25cm, and the final is at 15cm for the spring and the cart moved 20cm to compress the spring to 30 cm, then COM moved 10cm.
I didn't follow all that, but I don't think that is the right COM displacement. The first cart moves 50cm and the spring compresses by 30cm, so how far is the second cart displaced? What average displacement does that yield?
Elena Polkadot said:
Then the system continued moving for another 30cm
You mean, 30cm after you stop pushing? That's not how I read the question. Nothing that happens after stopping pushing seems relevant.
I usually avoid using non-inertial frames, but it helps here. Consider the two masses and spring as a subsystem. What is its acceleration relative to the ground?
Using the non-inertial frame of the CoM, what are the forces on each cart?
What is the average compression of the spring?

If you cannot see how to do it that way, just write out the net force versus acceleration equations for each cart and solve.

Likes BvU

What is work done on two cart system with spring?

The work done on a two cart system with a spring refers to the amount of energy transferred to the system as a result of external forces acting on it. This work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the system by the displacement of the system in the direction of the force.

How is work done on a two cart system with spring calculated?

The work done on a two cart system with a spring is calculated using the formula W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the displacement of the system in the direction of the force.

What are some common factors that affect the work done on a two cart system with spring?

The work done on a two cart system with a spring can be affected by factors such as the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the displacement of the system, and the stiffness of the spring.

What is the relationship between work done and energy in a two cart system with spring?

The work done on a two cart system with a spring is directly related to the change in energy of the system. This means that the work done on the system will result in a change in its kinetic or potential energy.

How can work done on a two cart system with spring be used in real-world applications?

The concept of work done on a two cart system with a spring is applicable in various real-world scenarios, such as in the design of shock absorbers for vehicles, calculating the energy required to compress or stretch a spring, and understanding the mechanics of elastic collisions.