Calculating Fan Force on a Cart: A Physics Problem Solution in 3.5 Seconds

• Thread starter xxphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary: N/s2. This is the force that the fan exerts on the cart, not the acceleration of the fan itself. To find the acceleration of the cart, you need to use the relationship F = ma, where F is the force of the fan on the cart and m is the mass of the cart. In this case, the acceleration of the cart is not constant, so you will need to use calculus to find the velocity at any given time.In summary, the problem involves a cart on a track, initially moving at 0.24 m/s, that encounters a fan that exerts a force on it described by the equation F = at
xxphysics

Homework Statement

A 2.34-kg cart on a long, level, low-friction track is heading for a small electric fan at 0.24 m/s . The fan, which was initially off, is turned on. As the fan speeds up, the magnitude of the force it exerts on the cart is given by at^2, where a = 0.0200 N/s2.

A) What is the speed of the cart 3.5 s after the fan is turned on?
B) After how many seconds is the cart's velocity zero?

Homework Equations

F = ma
Vf = Vi + a*t

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part a I first found the force of the fan on the cart : (0.02)(3.5)^2 = 0.245 N. Then I found the force of the cart, but to do that I first found the acceleration: 0.24 = 0 + a(3.5) where "a" ended up being 0.06857 m/s^2. I plugged this into F = ma to find the force of the cart: F = (2.34)(0.06857) = 0.160457 N. I subtracted the force of the fan from the force of the cart: 0.160457 N - 0.245 N = - 0.0845 N. I then used this value to find the acceleration of the cart with the fan going against it: - 0.0845 N = (2.34 kg)a where "a" ended up being -0.036. I then plugged this back into the kinematic equation: Vf = (0.24 m/s) + (-0.036 m/s^2)(3.5) = 0.11 m/s . Not totally confident in what I did. Could you guide me as to where I went wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The force decelerating the car isn't constant, or even linear so you'll need to use calculus to find the velocity of the car.

There is no "force of the cart" that acts on the cart. There is only one horizontal force acting on the cart which is the force that the fan exerts on the cart.

Note that the formula Vf = Vi + a*t is for an object moving with constant acceleration.

TSny said:
There is no "force of the cart" that acts on the cart. There is only one horizontal force acting on the cart which is the force that the fan exerts on the cart.

Note that the formula Vf = Vi + a*t is for an object moving with constant acceleration.
So how do you take into account the force of the fan on the cart? Because the acceleration changes with time so you couldn't just use the acceleration of the fan minus the acceleration of the cart right?

xxphysics said:

Homework Statement

A 2.34-kg cart on a long, level, low-friction track is heading for a small electric fan at 0.24 m/s . The fan, which was initially off, is turned on. As the fan speeds up, the magnitude of the force it exerts on the cart is given by at^2, where a = 0.0200 N/s2.

A) What is the speed of the cart 3.5 s after the fan is turned on?
B) After how many seconds is the cart's velocity zero?

Homework Equations

F = ma
Vf = Vi + a*t

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part a I first found the force of the fan on the cart : (0.02)(3.5)^2 = 0.245 N. Then I found the force of the cart, but to do that I first found the acceleration: 0.24 = 0 + a(3.5) where "a" ended up being 0.06857 m/s^2. I plugged this into F = ma to find the force of the cart: F = (2.34)(0.06857) = 0.160457 N. I subtracted the force of the fan from the force of the cart: 0.160457 N - 0.245 N = - 0.0845 N. I then used this value to find the acceleration of the cart with the fan going against it: - 0.0845 N = (2.34 kg)a where "a" ended up being -0.036. I then plugged this back into the kinematic equation: Vf = (0.24 m/s) + (-0.036 m/s^2)(3.5) = 0.11 m/s . Not totally confident in what I did. Could you guide me as to where I went wrong? Thanks!
The equation, Vf = Vi + a*t, is for constant acceleration. The acceleration in this problem is not constant.

It's unfortunate that the problem statement uses the variable a as the coefficient in the expression for force. I suggest that you use the time derivative of velocity, dv/dt, to denote acceleration. You will need to use calculus to solve this problem anyway.

xxphysics said:
So how do you take into account the force of the fan on the cart? Because the acceleration changes with time so you couldn't just use the acceleration of the fan minus the acceleration of the cart right?
Who says that the fan is accelerating? Have you tried drawing a free body diagram yet, or do you feel that you have advanced beyond the need to draw free body diagrams?

Chestermiller said:
Who says that the fan is accelerating? Have you tried drawing a free body diagram yet, or do you feel that you have advanced beyond the need to draw free body diagrams?
I'm talking about the air coming from the fan. Which the problem describes as "As the fan speeds up, the magnitude of the force it exerts on the cart is given by at^2, where a = 0.0200 N/s2", which I assumed meant the air coming from the fan was accelerating with respect to time. I did indeed draw a free body diagram

xxphysics said:
I'm talking about the air coming from the fan. Which the problem describes as "As the fan speeds up, the magnitude of the force it exerts on the cart is given by at^2, where a = 0.0200 N/s2", which I assumed meant the air coming from the fan was accelerating with respect to time. I did indeed draw a free body diagram
Please write out the force balance equation you derived from your free body diagram.

xxphysics said:
The air from the fan is only accelerating in the following sense. As time passes, the speed of the air exiting the fan is increasing. However, that's not the same as any particular air mass accelerating. This is all irrelevant to solving the problem anyway.

Follow Chet's suggestions.

Again, as I suggested, express acceleration in Newton's 2nd Law, as dv/dt .

1. What are forces and how do they affect objects?

Forces are interactions between objects that cause a change in motion. They can either cause an object to speed up, slow down, or change direction. Forces can also cause objects to stay at rest.

2. How do I solve a forces problem?

To solve a forces problem, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, use Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma) to calculate the net force on the object. Finally, use the net force to determine the acceleration or motion of the object.

3. What are the different types of forces?

The four main types of forces are gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Gravitational forces are responsible for the attraction between objects with mass, electromagnetic forces are responsible for interactions between electrically charged particles, and strong and weak nuclear forces are responsible for interactions between subatomic particles.

4. How does the mass and distance between objects affect the force of gravity?

The force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the mass of both objects. The greater the mass, the greater the force of gravity. The force of gravity is also inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects. The farther apart the objects are, the weaker the force of gravity between them.

5. Can forces cancel each other out?

Yes, forces can cancel each other out. When two forces act in opposite directions with the same magnitude, they are considered balanced forces and cancel each other out. This results in no change in motion for the object.