How do we define "linear" for single and multivariable?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of linearity in equations with multiple variables. The terms "linear" and "nonlinear" can be applied to different parts of an equation, such as the unknown function or the differential operator. In the context of polynomial expansions, the order of a term is determined by the number of independent variables multiplied together. This is different from the concept of linearity. The conversation also touches on the definition of a linear differential equation and provides an example of a first-order linear ordinary differential equation.
END
In my multivariable calculus class, we briefly went over Taylor polynomial approximations for functions of two variables. My professor said that the second degree terms include any of the following:

$$x^2, y^2, xy$$

What surprised me was the fact that [itex]xy[/itex] was listed as a nonlinear term.

In my Ordinary Differential Equations class, an example of a linear differential equation was

$$y'=xy$$

I was stuck wondering how one case could be linear and the other polynomial. I suppose the differences between the examples comes from the fact that the former example dealt with a function of two variables whereas the latter is only in terms of one.

If anyone can provide an explanation as to why these two examples don't contradict each other, or on a broader scale, how the term "linear" is defined with more than one variable, I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The term "linear" does not mean anything by itself, it has to refer to something... so an equation may be linear in non linear terms.
The term xy is 2nd order, but the equation z=xy is linear in x, and also linear in y.
I don't think we would commonly see z=xy as a 2nd order equation, but if you evaluate z along a line like x=y you'll see the quadratic.

I think your example is of a 1st order non linear DE: a separable equation.
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/Separable.aspx

Last edited:
Thanks, Simon!

The fact that the terms in the DE are not linear clarifies some things.

I didnt read your post properly and edited my reply to cope.

order and degree are often interchanged in this context, it does not pay to be rigid about semantics, it is the maths that matters.

i think "linear" usually means linear in the unknown function, which here is y. so this equation can be written as y' - xy = 0, or (D-x)y=0. the fact that it is linear in y is equivalent to the fact that sums of solutions y1+y2 = y are again solutions and also scalar multiples cy1 = y of solutions, are again solutions.

I wasnt too happy with Pauls approach, the notes never actually define the terms... looking closely, his nonlinear general form is a form of his linear one. Probably need to check the examples. Its generally a good resource.

I'd normally take a DE to be linear if the DE operator is linear.
When applying the linear definition (superposition) you have to work out what counts as addition etc.
Easy to do with functions of one variable, with two or more, you can usually treat them as components of a vector. From this you see how the term may apply varioisly depending on which part of the equation you are interested in.

The way to understand what you are being told is to look at the context. What exactly is being called linear in each case.

take f(x, y)=xy

if f is linear then f((a, b)+(c, d)) =f(a, b)+ f(c, d)
i.e. (a+c)(b+d) = ab + cd

In the context of a polynomial expansion in more than one variable, your confusion is in the name for the degree or order of the term. The order (as in "calculate to nth order") is usually the number of independent variables multiplied together that make up the variable part of the term. I.e if all the variables were x, what power would it be? This is separate from considerations of linearity.

Another way, if xy were 1st order, then what order would xy2 be?

1. What is the definition of a linear function for a single variable?

A linear function for a single variable is a mathematical representation of a relationship between two quantities where one quantity (called the dependent variable) is directly proportional to the other quantity (called the independent variable). This means that the graph of a linear function will be a straight line.

2. How do we determine if a function is linear for a single variable?

To determine if a function is linear for a single variable, we can check if the graph of the function is a straight line. We can also check if the function follows the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

3. What is the definition of a linear function for multiple variables?

A linear function for multiple variables is a mathematical representation of a relationship between two or more quantities where the dependent variable is a linear combination of the independent variables. This means that the function will have a constant rate of change and the graph of the function will be a plane in three-dimensional space.

4. How do we determine if a function is linear for multiple variables?

To determine if a function is linear for multiple variables, we can check if the graph of the function is a plane in three-dimensional space. We can also check if the function follows the form y = mx + ny + b, where m and n are the slopes of the two independent variables and b is the y-intercept.

5. Can a function be linear for one variable but not for multiple variables?

Yes, a function can be linear for one variable but not for multiple variables. This means that the function will have a constant rate of change for the single variable, but not for multiple variables. In this case, the graph of the function will not be a plane in three-dimensional space, but may still be a straight line in two-dimensional space.