How do we derive this forumla I=nqAv for current?

In summary, the formula I=nqAv represents the current, or flow of electric charge, where n is the number of charge carriers, q is the charge of each carrier, A is the cross-sectional area of the conductor, and v is the velocity of the charge carriers. It is derived from the equation I=ΔQ/Δt by substituting Q=nq and solving for I. The cross-sectional area is included because it affects the amount of space available for the charge carriers to flow through. The velocity of the charge carriers directly impacts the current, with a higher velocity resulting in a larger current and a lower velocity resulting in a smaller current. This formula can be applied to all types of currents, but for alternating currents
Elbraido
Can someone tell or lead me to how we derive this forumla I=nqAv for current?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the formula for current?

The formula for current is I = nqAv, where I represents the current, n represents the number of charge carriers, q represents the charge of each carrier, A represents the cross-sectional area of the conductor, and v represents the average drift velocity of the charge carriers.

How do we derive the formula for current?

The formula for current can be derived using the equation I = Q/t, where Q represents the total charge passing through a cross-sectional area in a given time period t. By substituting the formula for charge Q = nq, where n is the number of charge carriers and q is the charge of each carrier, and the formula for velocity v = d/t, where d is the distance traveled in time t, we get the formula I = nqAv.

What do each of the variables in the formula I=nqAv represent?

I represents the current, n represents the number of charge carriers, q represents the charge of each carrier, A represents the cross-sectional area of the conductor, and v represents the average drift velocity of the charge carriers.

How does the formula for current relate to Ohm's Law?

The formula for current, I = nqAv, is directly related to Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. In the formula I = nqAv, the voltage is represented by the drift velocity v, and the resistance is represented by the cross-sectional area A.

What are the units for each variable in the formula I=nqAv?

The units for current I are amperes (A), the units for number of charge carriers n are in units of particles per cubic meter (m-3), the units for charge q are in coulombs (C), the units for cross-sectional area A are in square meters (m2), and the units for average drift velocity v are in meters per second (m/s).