Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Do We Know The Age Of The Universe For Sure?

  1. Dec 16, 2005 #1
    [SOLVED] How Do We Know The Age Of The Universe For Sure?

    Cosomologists estimate the universe 10-15 billion years but this is only by dating where the farthest reaches off light go. We only know 10% of our universe, the other 90% is dark matter. So how do we know that out univere isn't much older??
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2005 #2

    Chronos

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

    We don't. But, the best evidence available suggests the observable universe is about 14 billion years old. This estimate was derived by reverse engineering observational evidence and applying our knowledge of physical processes.
     
  4. Dec 17, 2005 #3
    I read in the paper that there was a probe sent into space measuring microwave radiation and it dated the universe rather accurately and then bumped into some odd results about 2 years ago that have never been released. There were patterns in the radiation or something. Does anyone have a link on this story?

    I have forgotten the details, but some of you must know about it if the story is true.
     
  5. Dec 17, 2005 #4

    Garth

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    This is the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe.

    Together with observations of distant Type Ia supernovae WMAP measured the age of the universe to be 13.7±0.2 Gyr.

    The first years results were published on time but the next year's results have been delayed over two years and that has led to much speculation. Watch this space!

    Garth
     
  6. Dec 18, 2005 #5

    Chronos

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

    My understanding is the main reason for the the delay in WMAP year 2 is in trying to sort out the polarization data. Rumor has it, it should hit the street almost any day now. Should be pretty exciting.
     
  7. Dec 18, 2005 #6

    Garth

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    "Rumour" has it that it could be any of the following:
    Systematics in polarization maps
    Axis of evil detected at 12 sigmas
    Wiggles in the TT spectrum
    Non Gaussianities
    Message from the Creator found (see http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0510102 !)
    The doppler peaks are not there anymore, what we do now ?
    or anything else!

    Taken from CosmoCoffee poll.

    Garth
     
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  8. Dec 19, 2005 #7

    Chronos

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

    Indeed, these are exciting times. Apparently I'm mongering from some of the same rumor mills as the folks at CC. I have a hunch that WMAP 2 will be 90-95% consistent with the concordance model. And the other 5-10% will further confuse the swirl of controversy that fell out of the non-concordant stuff from WMAP 1. Science is great fun.
     
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?