How do you binomially expand this?

• Thread starter coverband
  • Start date
In summary, the generalized binomial theorem states that for any value of alpha, the expression (x+ y)^alpha can be written as a sum of terms involving the generalized binomial coefficient. This coefficient is defined as the product of alpha and the consecutive integers that are less than alpha, divided by the factorial of i. When alpha is a positive integer, the sum is finite, but for non-integer values of alpha, such as 1/2, the sum becomes an infinite series. When considering the expression (x^2+ y^2)^0.5, the generalized binomial theorem can be simplified to involve terms with x^2 and y^2 instead of x and y.
coverband
(x^2+y^2)^0.5

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can look at the "generalized binomial theorem" here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_series

Basically, it says that
[tex](x+ y)^\alpha= \sum \left(\begin{array}{c}\alpha \\ i\end{array}\right)x^i y^{\alpha- i}[/tex]
where
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}\alpha \\ i\end{array}\right)= \frac{\alpha(\alpha+ 1)(\alpha- 2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(\alpha- i-1)}{i!}[/tex]
is the "generalized binomial coefficient". If [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a positive integer, the "generalized binomial coefficient" is the usual binomial coefficient and is eventually 0 so the sum is finite. If [itex]\alpha[/itex] is not a positive integer (and for your problem, it is 1/2) the sum is an infinite series.

With [itex]x^2[/itex] and [itex]y^2[/itex] instead of x and y, it just becomes
[tex](x^2+ y^2)^\alpha= \sum \left(\begin{array}{c}\alpha \\ i\end{array}\right)x^{2i} y^{2(\alpha- i)}[/tex]

1. What is binomial expansion?

Binomial expansion is a mathematical technique for expanding expressions of the form (a + b)^n, where n is a positive integer. It allows us to simplify and solve complex algebraic equations.

2. How do you binomially expand an expression?

To binomially expand an expression, we use the binomial theorem which states that (a + b)^n = ∑(n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k, where ∑ represents the sum of terms and (n choose k) = n! / (k!(n-k)!). Essentially, we substitute different values of k from 0 to n and multiply them with the corresponding powers of a and b.

3. What is the purpose of binomial expansion?

The purpose of binomial expansion is to simplify and solve complex algebraic equations, especially when dealing with exponents and powers. It also helps in finding the coefficients and terms of a given expression.

4. What is the difference between binomial expansion and binomial theorem?

Binomial expansion is the process of expanding a binomial expression, while the binomial theorem is the formula used to perform this expansion. In other words, binomial expansion is the application of the binomial theorem.

5. Can binomial expansion be used for expressions with more than two terms?

No, binomial expansion is specifically designed for binomial expressions with two terms. For expressions with more than two terms, we use other methods such as multinomial expansion.