How do you build a self-submersible boat?

In summary: Welcome to PF. :smile:In summary, the speaker is looking for ideas to create a self-submersible boat using a plastic bottle without electronics. They suggest increasing the volume by dropping weights down the bottle and opening flaps on the sides, but also mention the possibility of weights escaping. Another person suggests using a baking soda and dry acid powder mixture to create a more rapid reaction for the boat to sink and resurface.
Monom
So I've been thinking for a long time now about making a self-submersible boat out of a plastic bottle without electronics. It should resurface by itself after a few minutes. I was thinking that it might increase its volume. By slowly dropping weights down the bottle and opening flaps on the sides of the bottle. But weights could also slowly escape from the bottle. Anyway, I'm looking for ideas and thank you in advance to anyone who pays attention to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Monom said:
So I've been thinking for a long time now about making a self-submersible boat out of a plastic bottle without electronics. It should resurface by itself after a few minutes. I was thinking that it might increase its volume. By slowly dropping weights down the bottle and opening flaps on the sides of the bottle. But weights could also slowly escape from the bottle. Anyway, I'm looking for ideas and thank you in advance to anyone who pays attention to me.
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Do you mean like these baking soda powered toy submarines?

1652292119842.png

https://www.teachersource.com/product/diving-submarine

Attachments

• 1652292138206.png
    1652292138206.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Likes hutchphd, Bystander, Lnewqban and 1 other person
berkeman said:
Do you mean like these baking soda powered toy submarines?
Wow! I had forgotten about those. They were great toys.

Likes hutchphd, berkeman and BillTre
Monom said:
But weights could also slowly escape from the bottle.
Buoyancy all comes down to total vessel density. You might include an internal water ballast tank, with sufficient internal air pressure that it will drive the water out through a small bleed-hole, as used for drip irrigation.
A pack, or a block of salt, will dissolve in the water over time, until the vessel floats. But that will not repeatedly sink and surface, like the CO2 bubble produced by baking soda.

Likes Monom and BillTre
berkeman said:
Willkommen bei PF. :smile:

Meinst du wie diese mit Backpulver betriebenen Spielzeug-U-Boote?

View attachment 301357
https://www.teachersource.com/product/diving-submarine
Ich habe schon über Backpulver nachgedacht, aber es kam mir nicht in den Sinn, es auf diese Weise zu verwenden. Vielen Dank!

[Translation via Google Translate by a Mentor]
I've thought about baking soda, but it never occurred to me to use it that way. Thanks very much!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a self-submersible boat stay afloat?

A self-submersible boat stays afloat through the use of buoyancy. The boat is designed with a hollow hull that displaces a certain amount of water, and this displaced water creates an upward force known as buoyant force. As long as the weight of the boat is less than the buoyant force, the boat will float.

2. What materials are used to build a self-submersible boat?

The materials used to build a self-submersible boat can vary, but they typically include a combination of lightweight and waterproof materials. Some common materials used are aluminum, fiberglass, and carbon fiber. These materials are strong and durable, while also being able to withstand the pressure of being submerged in water.

3. How is a self-submersible boat controlled?

A self-submersible boat is controlled through the use of various mechanisms, such as propellers, rudders, and ballast tanks. These mechanisms allow the boat to move forward, turn, and adjust its buoyancy to submerge or resurface. The boat's movements are typically controlled by a pilot or through a remote control system.

4. How deep can a self-submersible boat go?

The depth that a self-submersible boat can go depends on its design and construction. Some self-submersible boats are designed to go as deep as 3,000 meters, while others can go even deeper. The depth limit also depends on the pressure that the boat can withstand without compromising its structure.

5. How is a self-submersible boat powered?

A self-submersible boat is typically powered by an electric motor or a diesel engine. The power source is usually stored in batteries or fuel tanks within the boat. The type of power source used depends on the size and purpose of the boat, as well as its intended depth and duration of submersion.