How Do You Calculate Acceleration and Tension in a Double Atwood Machine?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
hitemup
Messages
81
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


[/B]
GIANCOLI.ch04.p56.jpg


The double Atwood machine has frictionless, massless pulleys and cords. Determine the acceleration of masses mA,mB,mC, and the tensions in the cords.

Homework Equations


[/B]
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
First I looked down the bottom section. Assuming mB> mA

mB*g - FTA = mB*a
FTA - mA*g = mA*a

I got the following from the equations above, so I think this must be the acceleration for the masses A and B.

aA,B = g* (mB - mA)/(mB + mA)

Now Assuming mC*g>FTC

mC*g - FTC = mC*a

This is where I choked. What should be the second equation for this pulley? FTC = 2FTA?
If I were to find FTA in terms of mA, mB, and aA,B, would that be enough for aC's equation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hitemup said:

Homework Statement


[/B]
GIANCOLI.ch04.p56.jpg


The double Atwood machine has frictionless, massless pulleys and cords. Determine the acceleration of masses mA,mB,mC, and the tensions in the cords.

Homework Equations


[/B]
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
First I looked down the bottom section. Assuming mB> mA

mB*g - FTA = mB*a
FTA - mA*g = mA*a

I got the following from the equations above, so I think this must be the acceleration for the masses A and B.

aA,B = g* (mB - mA)/(mB + mA)

A and B hang from the rope around the hanging pulley. Their accelerations are equal with respect to the pulley, but not with respect to the ground.
I suggest to write the acceleration of C first. It will be the same (with opposite sign) as the acceleration of the hanging pulley. It has no mass, so 2FTA=FTC.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sho Kano
ehild said:
A and B hang from the rope around the hanging pulley. Their accelerations are equal with respect to the pulley, but not with respect to the ground.
I suggest to write the acceleration of C first. It will be the same (with opposite sign) as the acceleration of the hanging pulley. It has no mass, so 2FTA=FTC.

What confuses me here is that there are too many possibilities, especially for A and B.

To write correct equations with respect to ground, I think I should consider the effect of FTC on A and B like you said. But what are their directions?
I mean if we assume C is going down, no problem. But either A or B could be going down or up in this situation. Should I just assume their directions too?