How Do You Calculate Bicycle Speed and Friction in Circular Motion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
sauri
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Suppose you ride a bicycle on a horizontal surface in a circle with a radius of 20 m. The resultant force exerted by the road on the bicycle (normal force plus frictional force) makes an angle of 15 degs with the vertical.
a. What is your speed?
b. If the frictional force is half its maximum value, what is the coefficient of static friction?

The problem is I got 2 equations that i can think of to solve for a). One equation is a=V^2/r and the other is F=mrw^2. But for the second equation I don't know the w(angular vel) and for the first I don't know a(acceleration). So how do I solve this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your rotational force is
[tex]\frac{Mv^2}{r}[/tex]
Can you use this to find an expression for your frictional force? (hint: no math needed)