Michael_Light Messages 112 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Jun 18, 2011 #1 Homework Statement Given that sin(a) + cos(b) = 31/2/2 and sin(a) + sin(b) = 3/2 Find cos(a-b) Homework Equations The Attempt at a Solution Can anyone give me some hints?
Homework Statement Given that sin(a) + cos(b) = 31/2/2 and sin(a) + sin(b) = 3/2 Find cos(a-b) Homework Equations The Attempt at a Solution Can anyone give me some hints?
ehild Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 15,536 Reaction score 1,917 Jun 18, 2011 #2 See: http://file.glpacademy.co.kr/eTAP/mathfiles/english/trigo/lesson2/instructiontutor_last.html ehild Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
See: http://file.glpacademy.co.kr/eTAP/mathfiles/english/trigo/lesson2/instructiontutor_last.html ehild
eumyang Homework Helper Messages 1,347 Reaction score 12 Jun 18, 2011 #3 Try taking the Pythagorean identity cos2 b + sin2 b = 1 and rewriting it in terms of sin a. I found an answer by starting this way, but it is a decimal approximation.
Try taking the Pythagorean identity cos2 b + sin2 b = 1 and rewriting it in terms of sin a. I found an answer by starting this way, but it is a decimal approximation.
Michael_Light Messages 112 Reaction score 0 Jun 18, 2011 #4 The answer i get is 0.7858... but the answer given is 0.5. What answer do you guys get? Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
eumyang Homework Helper Messages 1,347 Reaction score 12 Jun 19, 2011 #5 0.7858... is what I got, too. Maybe there is a typo in the original problem or in the answer?
I like Serena Science Advisor Homework Helper MHB Messages 16,335 Reaction score 258 Jun 19, 2011 #6 I get a total of 2 solutions: 0.2599 and 0.7858