How Do You Find Tan(Theta) Given Sin(Theta/2)?

In summary, to find tan(theta) when given sin(theta/2) = 3/5, we can use the half angle formula for sin. Simplifying the equation, we get cos(theta) = 7/25. Using the Pythagorean theorem, we can find the value of opposite as 24. Therefore, tan(theta) = opp/adj = 24/7. This approach can earn full marks on a test or exam.
lovemake1

Homework Statement

find tan(theta) if sin (theta/2) = 3/5

Homework Equations

sin(theta/2) = sqrt[(1-cosx)/2]

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt:

first since we know the half angle formula for sin, let sqrt[(1-cosx)/2] = 3/5
simplifying the equation, we get that cos(Theta) = 7/25 which is adjacent/hypothenus.
using this, we can calculate the value of opposite using pythagoras theorum. which is 24 in this case. since tan = sin/cos and sin = 24/25 and cos = 7/25
tan(Theta) = sin/cos which is 7/24

is this the most correct approach to take from what the question is asking?
please i would like to know if this will earn me full marks on a test or exam.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
lovemake1 said:

Homework Statement

find tan(theta) if sin (theta/2) = 3/5

Homework Equations

sin(theta/2) = sqrt[(1-cosx)/2]

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt:

first since we know the half angle formula for sin, let sqrt[(1-cosx)/2] = 3/5
simplifying the equation, we get that cos(Theta) = 7/25 which is adjacent/hypothenus.
using this, we can calculate the value of opposite using pythagoras theorum. which is 24 in this case. since tan = sin/cos and sin = 24/25 and cos = 7/25
tan(Theta) = sin/cos which is 7/24

is this the most correct approach to take from what the question is asking?
please i would like to know if this will earn me full marks on a test or exam.

Thanks,
very close, redo this step: "since tan = sin/cos and sin = 24/25 and cos = 7/25"

Or just use tan = opp/adj

Related to How Do You Find Tan(Theta) Given Sin(Theta/2)?

What is the half angle formula?

The half angle formula is used to find the value of trigonometric functions for half angles. It states that sin(x/2) = ± √[(1-cosx)/2] and cos(x/2) = ± √[(1+cosx)/2], where x is the angle in radians.

How is the half angle formula derived?

The half angle formula can be derived using the double angle formula and the Pythagorean identity. By substituting x/2 in place of x in the double angle formula, we can obtain the half angle formula.

What are the applications of the half angle formula?

The half angle formula is used in many fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used to simplify trigonometric expressions, solve trigonometric equations, and calculate the values of trigonometric functions for half angles.

How do you use the half angle formula to solve problems?

To solve problems using the half angle formula, you need to identify the given angle and use the formula to find the value of the half angle. Then, you can substitute the half angle in the given trigonometric function and solve for the unknown variable.

Can the half angle formula be used for any angle?

No, the half angle formula can only be used for angles between 0 and 180 degrees or 0 and π radians. If the given angle is outside of this range, you can use the sum or difference formulas to find the value of the half angle.