How do you calculate cost per unit of electricity?

In summary: For a hydro dam, the variable cost is extremely low since there is no fuel to buy: you just pay the maintenance and operations staff. The primary cost is the fixed cost of building the dam. So you'd take that and divide it by the total production of the dam over its lifetime.
MegaDeth
How do you calculate cost per unit of electricity over a certain time that a generator produces?

Physics news on Phys.org
Odd question: It isn't really calculated, so much as just set by market forces and government/utility company collaboration.

So if I was to work out the cost per unit of electricity over the operating life of a generating station, then I'd just use the cost per unit of electricity that the country has set?

You need to know generator output power, fuel consumption rate, and cost of fuel.

So say:
P = power output in kilowatts.
R = fuel consumption rate in gallons per hour.
C = Cost of fuel in dollars per gallon.

Then electricity costs you R*C/P in dollars per kWh.

If these aren't available, some estimates can be made anyways, but some additional information about generator would be required. Most importantly, type of fuel.

Edit: I'm assuming we are talking about self-cost.

The generators are run by turbines, it's a dam power station (Three Gorges Dam). It has an annual generation of 80TWh/80000000000000KWh. I have to work out the cost per unit of electricity over the operating life of the generating station, so I need to estimate how long it'll last. Is 40 years a suitable estimte?

Ok...you mean the production cost, not how much you get by selling it.

For a hydro dam, the variable cost is extremely low since there is no fuel to buy: you just pay the maintenance and operations staff. The primary cost is the fixed cost of building the dam. So you'd take that and divide it by the total production of the dam over its lifetime.

40 years is probably a good estimate for lifespan before major overhaul (turbine replacement), yes.

No, I know the production cost, my teacher said to work out the cost per unit of electricity over the operating life of the generating station.

1. How is the cost per unit of electricity determined?

The cost per unit of electricity is determined by dividing the total cost of electricity by the total number of units consumed. This includes all charges such as generation, transmission, distribution, and any additional fees or taxes.

2. What factors affect the cost per unit of electricity?

The cost per unit of electricity can be affected by a variety of factors such as the source of electricity (e.g. coal, nuclear, renewable), the cost of fuel, government regulations and taxes, and the efficiency of the power plant.

3. How does location impact the cost per unit of electricity?

The cost per unit of electricity can vary based on location due to differences in regional electricity rates, transmission and distribution costs, and the availability and cost of fuel sources.

4. Is the cost per unit of electricity consistent throughout the year?

No, the cost per unit of electricity can fluctuate throughout the year due to changes in demand, fuel prices, and other factors. Seasonal changes in weather can also impact the cost of electricity, with higher demand and costs during extreme temperatures.

5. Can individuals or businesses lower their cost per unit of electricity?

Yes, individuals and businesses can lower their cost per unit of electricity by reducing their overall energy consumption, investing in energy-efficient appliances and technologies, and shopping around for competitive electricity rates. They can also look into renewable energy options, such as solar panels, which can potentially lower their electricity costs in the long run.