How Do You Calculate Electric Field Components of a Uniformly Charged Rod?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 13K views
jls
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
1. Problem Statement
A uniformly charged rod of length L and total charge Q lies along the x-axis as shown in in the figure below. (Use the following as necessary: Q, L, d, and ke.)

(a) Find the components of the electric field at the point P on the y-axis a distance d from the origin.

(b) What are the approximate values of the field components when d >> L?

2. Equations
I have a diagram and understand that E=kQ/r^2, however, I can not figure out how to define each component.

3. Attempt
I know that I must integrate to solve once I have defined the component, however I do not know how to define them.
Would Ex=rsin(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] and Ey=rcos(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] be at all in the right direction?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello jls, and welcome to PF.
Can't find a picture... or is the figure below in your book only ? In that case:
Is the center of the rod at x=0 ? (would make things easier...)
 
jls said:
1. Problem Statement
A uniformly charged rod of length L and total charge Q lies along the x-axis as shown in in the figure below. (Use the following as necessary: Q, L, d, and ke.)

(a) Find the components of the electric field at the point P on the y-axis a distance d from the origin.

(b) What are the approximate values of the field components when d >> L?

2. Equations
I have a diagram and understand that E=kQ/r^2, however, I can not figure out how to define each component.

3. Attempt
I know that I must integrate to solve once I have defined the component, however I do not know how to define them.
Would Ex=rsin(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] and Ey=rcos(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] be at all in the right direction?
##E = \frac{kQ}{r^2}## only applies for a point charge. There's probably an example done in your textbook that you might find very helpful.
 
Yup. Now we set up the integral (which you already expected to be needed). We take a little chunk of rod from x to x+dx and write down the x and y components of ##\vec E## at point ##\vec P = (0, y_P)##. Is one way.

Your Ex=rsin(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] and Ey=rcos(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] looks like an integration over ##\theta##; is fine too.

Both cases you need to express the things that vary in terms of the integrand: r(##\theta##), Q(##\theta##) -- or rather the dQ from ##\theta## to ##\theta + d\theta##. Or express them in x and dx and let x run from 0 to L.
 
How do you turn that chunk (x to x+dx) into the components? I think I could figure it out if I knew what that meant..