How do you calculate Electric Potential Energy in a Square?

The correct expression for the final potential energy should be kq^2 (4/L + 2/(sqrt(2)*L)), taking into account the contribution from each pair of charges. The difference between calculating electric potential for a square and a triangle is that in a square, each pair of opposite charges is contributing to the total potential energy, while in a triangle, only specific pairs of charges are contributing. This results in the extra term in the final potential energy expression for a square. So, when calculating the kinetic energy, this extra term also needs to be taken into account, resulting in the correct answer for the velocity of the particles. Overall, the key difference is in the arrangement of the charges and which pairs are contributing to the
halo168
Thread moved from technical section, hence no homework formatting template shown.
Four identical particles, each having charge q and mass m, are accelerated from rest at the vertices of a square of side L. How fast is each particle moving when their distance from the center of the square doubles?

I used the Conservation of Energy => Kf= -deltaU = Ui-Uf
4(mv^2 /2) = kq^2 (4/L) - kq^2 (4/2L); Solving for v, I would get the wrong answer.

However, the correct answer had 4(mv^2 /2) = kq^2 (4/L + 2/(sqrt(2)*L) - kq^2 (4/2L + 2/(2*sqrt(2)*L)

I know that the (2*kq^2)/(sqrt(2)*L) comes from:

upload_2018-1-17_16-29-7.png

but when I calculate the electric potential energy of three charges (+q) at the vertices of a triangle, I don't need to add an extra term like (2*kq^2)/(sqrt(2)*L ). (Refer to here)

Can someone please explain the difference between calculating electric potential for a square and triangle?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-17_16-28-38.png
    upload_2018-1-17_16-28-38.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 568
  • upload_2018-1-17_16-29-7.png
    upload_2018-1-17_16-29-7.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,460
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
Each pair of charges contributes to the total potential energy.

Likes halo168
halo168 said:
4(mv^2 /2) = kq^2 (4/L) - kq^2 (4/2L); Solving for v, I would get the wrong answer.
That's because the initial and final potential energy expressions are incorrect. The charges are not equidistant from each other as they are in the video you referred to.

1. How do you determine the magnitude of electric potential energy in a square?

The magnitude of electric potential energy in a square can be calculated by multiplying the electric potential at a certain point in the square by the electric charge at that point. This value is then summed for all points in the square.

2. What is the formula for calculating electric potential energy in a square?

The formula for calculating electric potential energy in a square is: EPE = q * V, where EPE is the electric potential energy, q is the electric charge, and V is the electric potential.

3. Can you explain the concept of electric potential energy in simpler terms?

Electric potential energy is the amount of energy that an electric charge possesses at a certain point in space. It is dependent on the electric potential at that point and the amount of electric charge present.

4. How does the distance between charges affect the electric potential energy in a square?

The electric potential energy in a square is inversely proportional to the distance between charges. This means that as the distance between charges increases, the electric potential energy decreases, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating electric potential energy in a square?

Calculating electric potential energy in a square is important in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry. It is used to design and optimize electrical circuits, determine the stability of atomic and molecular structures, and understand the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.