How Do You Calculate Group Velocity from Phase Velocity?

In summary, the phase velocity of ocean waves is calculated using the equation \sqrt{\frac{g\lambda}{2\pi}}, where g is 9.8 m/s2. To find the group velocity, you need to use the dispersion relation \omega=\omega(k) and differentiate it.
lockedup

Homework Statement

The phase velocity of ocean waves is [tex]\sqrt{\frac{g\lambda}{2\pi}}[/tex] , where g is 9.8 m/s2. What is the group velocity?2. Homework Equations
[tex]v_{p} = \omega/k[/tex]
[tex]v_{g} = \partial\omega/\partial k[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've been trying to find omega and k from the equation in the problem statement. I've tried isolating different variables and plugging back in. I've been at this for a while now. I don't know how many google searches I've done. The only place I can find the given equation is on wiki and they don't derive it. It's for my modern physics class and the book I'm using doesn't explain any of this...

I don't want the answer. I just want a hint to get me started.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at this place:

http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources/ocng_textbook/chapter16/chapter16_01.htm

ehild

Last edited:
What you need is the dispersion relation [itex]\omega=\omega(k)[/itex]. You need to express [itex]\omega[/itex] as a function of k, which you can do if you know the phase velocity in terms of k, not solve for particular values of the variables. Once you have that, you differentiate it to find the group velocity.

Related to How Do You Calculate Group Velocity from Phase Velocity?

1. What is group velocity?

Group velocity is the velocity at which the energy or information of a wave packet (group of waves) propagates through a medium. It is different from the phase velocity, which is the velocity at which the individual waves of the packet propagate.

2. How is group velocity derived?

Group velocity can be derived using the dispersion relation, which describes the relationship between the frequency and the wavenumber of a wave. The group velocity is then calculated by taking the derivative of the dispersion relation with respect to the wavenumber.

3. What is the importance of group velocity in physics?

Group velocity is important in understanding the behavior of waves in different mediums. It helps in predicting the propagation of wave packets and their interaction with other particles or boundaries. It also plays a significant role in various fields such as optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics.

4. How is group velocity related to the concept of phase velocity?

Group velocity and phase velocity are related through the group-velocity dispersion (GVD). GVD is a measure of how the group velocity changes with the wavelength or frequency of a wave. In some cases, the group velocity can be equal to the phase velocity, but in most cases, they are different.

5. Can group velocity be negative?

Yes, group velocity can be negative in certain conditions. This occurs when the dispersion relation has a negative slope, meaning that the group velocity is in the opposite direction of the phase velocity. This phenomenon is known as negative group velocity and has been observed in various systems such as Bose-Einstein condensates and certain optical fibers.