How Do You Calculate Group and Phase Velocities for a 550nm Wavelength?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dassinia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Group Phase
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Dassinia
Messages
141
Reaction score
0
Hello

Homework Statement


I have this tab
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3317/eyph.png

Anf I have to find the group and phase velocities for a wavelength λ=550nm

Homework Equations


v(phase)= c/n

v(group)=dw/dk

v(phase)*v(group)=c²/n²


The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know how I can determine n for the wavelength of 550nm using the tab ?
I was absent the day of this course
Can I use the relation v(phase)*v(group)=c²/n² ?

Thanks !
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dassinia said:
v(phase)= c/n
v(phase)*v(group)=c²/n²
Where do those two formulas come from? Where are they valid? Can you use them here?

I don't know how I can determine n for the wavelength of 550nm using the tab ?
Do an interpolation.
I was absent the day of this course
Interpolation is a much more general concept you should know.
 
The formulas come from my book, for electromagnetic waves.
Why can't I use them ?
OK, so I'll do an interpolation !
Thanks
 
Those equations would give v(phase)=v(group) everywhere, which is not true.
Please check how they got defined, and where they are applicable.