How Do You Calculate Orbital Radius and Velocity for Different Orbital Periods?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
SuperNubCake
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An impulse Engine, A, is located in Earth orbit with an orbital period of 9.6 hours. Another Impulse Engine, B, is located in Earth Orbit with an orbital period of 24.0 hours.

a) What is the orbital radius and orbital velocity of IEA?

b) What is the orbital radius and orbital velocity of IEB?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I was trying to figure this out from the equations my teacher gave me, but it's been a while since he assigned it and talked about it in class so my memory of the lesson is gone. My notes are... i have no idea where it is. Please help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Supernubcake.
There is an orbit explanation that really resonates with me, and most of the students I taught in high school. You always begin with the basic idea of circular orbits:
Force of gravity on satellite = centripetal force on satellite
They are not only equal; they are one and the same thing!
Then you fill in the gravitational formula with the big G and choose either of the centripetal force formulas depending on whether you are interested in period T or velocity v. Solve for any orbital quantity you want!
 
I thought I understood the site, but when it came down to do stuff in class, I couldn't figure it out. Could I have a better explanation of this stuff? I have a Hohmann transfer test tomorrow in class and I just horribly failed my forces test today.