How Do You Calculate P(Y>0.5|Y>X^2) for Uniformly Distributed Variables?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cse63146
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
cse63146
Messages
435
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



X and Y are independent and uniformly distributed on the unit interval (0, 1)

Determine P(Y>0.5|Y>X^2)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I set it up as the following: [tex]\frac{P(Y > 0.5 \cup Y > X^2)}{P(Y > X^2)}<br /> = \frac{\int^1_{1/2} \int^{\sqrt{y}}_0 dx dy}{\int^1_{0} \int^{\sqrt{y}}_0 dx dy}[/tex]

for the final answer I got ~0.6465. Did I make any mistakes?

The only thing that's bugging me is whether or not x is properly bounded in the integral. In the question y > x^2, so I assumed the square root of y is also greater than x. And since x is between 0 and 1, I believe that 0<x<sqrt(y)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks fine to me, but the union in this probability
[tex]\frac{P(Y > 0.5 \cup Y > X^2)}{P(Y > X^2)} = \frac{\int^1_{1/2} \int^{\sqrt{y}}_0 dx dy}{\int^1_{0} \int^{\sqrt{y}}_0 dx dy}[/tex]
should be an intersection
[tex]\frac{P(Y > 0.5 \cap Y > X^2)}{P(Y > X^2)} = \frac{\int^1_{1/2} \int^{\sqrt{y}}_0 dx dy}{\int^1_{0} \int^{\sqrt{y}}_0 dx dy}[/tex]