How Do You Calculate the Activity of a Radioactive Sample?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
jumbogala
Messages
414
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


The sample is placed 0.12 m beneath a Geiger counter.

The counter registers 2 counts per second. What is the activity of the sample?

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


Just a guess. I am making up formulas here so please tell me if they're not even true.

(2 counts/s)/(2E-4 m2) = Intensity = 10 000 counts/s/m2

Then multiply this by the distance to get the activity? So this would give 1200 counts/s?

Is that correct?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you suppose that all the particles emitted by the sample are being captured by the Geiger counter?
 
Nope, they're not. But I don't know how to account for that, since I have no idea what percentage are.
 
jumbogala said:
Nope, they're not. But I don't know how to account for that, since I have no idea what percentage are.

What if you assumed that the sample emits uniformly in all directions?