Help calculating the the activity of a radioactive sample

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the activity of a radioactive sample, specifically potassium-40 in the human body. The solution involves finding the mass of K40 in the body, calculating the number of K40 atoms using Avogadro's number and the molar mass, and plugging that into the equation R=0.653N/half-life to find the activity. However, the final answer of 4.36*10^-3 Bq is incorrect, as the correct answer is 4200 Bq. Further assistance is needed to identify and correct the error in the calculation.
pearlblack
Help! calculating the the activity of a radioactive sample!

1. find activity R

2. the average 70 KF males contain 140 gram of potassium. of this 0.012% is potassium 40. the half life of potassium 40 is 1.2 billion years. so how many K40 decay per second and what is the activity of K40 in the body??

3. so my solution here is..
140g = 0.14kg
and mass of K40 = 0.14 * 0.012/100 = 1.68 * 10^-5kg
how many decay per second = (1.68*10^-5)/2 / 3600*24*365*1.2*10^12 = 2.22*10^-25kg
then i use R = [tex]\lambda[/tex] * N = 0.653N/half life
= 3.88 * 10^-45 Bq
but this answer is wrong! because the correct one is 4200 Bq
so help me please! thx

Physics news on Phys.org

Okay, you've got the mass of K40 = 1.68*10^-5 kg. You need to calculate how many K40 atoms there are by multiplying by Avogadro's number and dividing by the molar mass (which is 40).

sorry i don't get it..
do i just
1.68*10^-5kg * 6.02*10^23/40 = 2.5284*10^17
and then sub this into the equation R=0.653N/half-life??
but the answer i get from this is 4.36*10^-3

which i think there is still something wrong in ym calculation...

1. How do you calculate the activity of a radioactive sample?

To calculate the activity of a radioactive sample, you need to know the initial amount of the radioactive substance, the half-life of the substance, and the time that has passed since the initial amount was measured. The formula for calculating activity is: A = A0 * e-(ln2 * t / t1/2), where A is the current activity, A0 is the initial activity, t is the time that has passed, and t1/2 is the half-life of the substance.

2. What is the unit of measurement for activity of a radioactive sample?

The unit of measurement for activity of a radioactive sample is the becquerel (Bq). One becquerel is equal to one nuclear decay per second.

3. How does the activity of a radioactive sample change over time?

The activity of a radioactive sample decreases over time as the substance undergoes radioactive decay. This is because as the substance decays, it emits radiation and transforms into a more stable element.

4. Can the activity of a radioactive sample be measured using a Geiger counter?

Yes, the activity of a radioactive sample can be measured using a Geiger counter. A Geiger counter detects and measures the amount of radiation emitted by a substance, which is directly related to the activity of the substance.

5. How is the activity of a radioactive sample related to its half-life?

The activity of a radioactive sample is inversely related to its half-life. This means that as the half-life of a substance increases, its activity decreases. This is because a longer half-life means that the substance takes longer to decay and emit radiation, resulting in a lower activity level.