How Do You Calculate the Age Ratio Between a Ship and a Boiler?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 6K views
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
24,696
Reaction score
9,098
The ship is twice as old as the boiler was when the ship was as old as the boiler is.

What is the ratio of their ages?



I do believe I have solved this (without Googling) and have uploaded my answer online with a timestamp of 10:35PM 4/27/2011 (i.e. before I posted this).

Let me know what you think.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I got:
4 / 3
Let n be a positive integer. If the boiler was 2n when the ship was 3n, then the boiler is 3n and the ship is 4n (twice what the boiler was when the ship was 3n). 4n / 3n = 4 / 3.
 
Nice one. I had to make a timeline diagram to get it sorted out.
 
I solved it algebraicly:
SW = ship was; SI = ship is; BW = boiler was; BI = boiler is:
"ship was as old as the boiler is"
SW = BI
"The ship is twice as old as the boiler was"
SI = 2BW
And the fact that both age the same:
SI - SW = BI - BW
This is three equations in 4 unknowns, but only a ratio is required so there is sufficient input.
 
I went algebraically as well:

x = age boiler was
2x = age of ship
y = years since boiler was x
x+y = current age of boiler
x+y = age of ship when boiler was x

ship age = (x+y)+y= x+2y
ship age = 2x
therefore:
2x = x+2y
(1/2)x=y

current age of ship = x + 2(1/2)x = 2x
current age of boiler = x + (1/2)x = (3/2)x

ratio of ship to boiler
2x:(3/2)x or 4:3

I do like Dave's geometric solution, though.
 
Filip Larsen said:
Nice one. I had to make a timeline diagram to get it sorted out.

I'd like to see it.

The guy who gave me the puzzle it turns out also was working on a geometric solution and it looks very much like mine.
 
DaveC426913 said:
I'd like to see it.

Well, my head was spinning from getting the past and present tense sorted out, so it probably ended up being a bit more elaborate than necessary.

Make made two time lines representing the "life" of the ship and boiler:

|---------------S0----->S1
|..d..|---------B0----->B1

where the timeline for the boiler starts (i.e. has zero) a time d later than for the ship. The following equations can then be extracted: S1 = 2B0, B1-B0 = d, B1 = S0, and S1-S0 = d. Solving these for S1/B1 yields 4/3.