How Do You Calculate the Center of Mass for a Composite Shape?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
kerbyjonsonjr
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What is the x and y coordinates of the center of mass for the uniform steel plate shown in the figure ?

Homework Equations



x=1/M [tex]\sum[/tex] x dm

The Attempt at a Solution



I am not really sure how to being this one. Mass isn't given so I am not sure where to start. I feel like this will be really easy to do but I am just not sure how to begin it. I appreciate any help. Thanks!
 
Attachments
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 667
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You won't need the mass, it will cancel out.

You didn't attach a figure.

Please show an attempt at a solution using your knowledge of your relevant equation. Look at each axis separately, and choose convenient ones as reference axes.
 
Here are two helpful tips:

1. The center of mass equation is linear. This means that once you find the center of mass of an object, you can treat the object as a point mass located at its center of mass.

2. For this question, it's easier to consider the object as a square combined with another square of negative mass.