How Do You Calculate the Conditional PDF for a Given Union of Events?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter shespuzzling
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Conditional Pdf
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
shespuzzling
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hi,

This is a homework problem that I'm having a very hard time with. We are given that f(x)=e^(-x) for X greater/equal to zero. The question is to find f(x|A) where A is the union of the events (1 less/equal x, and x greater than 10). I can't figure out how to go about doing this...I thought of taking the complement of A and solving the conditional probability for x between 1 and 10, but then if I take 1 minus that, I don't think that f(x|A) will have an area less than 1, and it will also be negative at points. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
f(x|A)=f(x)/∫Af(u)du, for xεA
f(x|A)=0, otherwise
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your help! But in this case, since A is less than 1 and greater than 10, what would the limits of the integral e? Also, what is f(u) in this case?
 
The integral just gets split up into two parts (0,1) and (10,inf).

Your second question makes me wonder about what level of math you are at. f is the function you are given. For the purpose of expressing the integral, u is just the dummy variable for integration - any other letter would do. I deliberately did not use x, since x is being used as the explicit variable for the expression.