How Do You Calculate the Coefficient of Friction in a Ramp Experiment?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Unidh4x0r
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
1. Homework Statement
given: a large block ramp, a smaller block (one side wood, other side felt), and a stopwatch
refer to this picture:
http://01.edu-cdn.com/files/static/w...SLIDING_01.GIF

you don't know weight, or θ but I do have the measurements for the x and y axis

2. Homework Equations



3. The Attempt at a Solution
I did five trials each for the wood on wood side and the felt on wood side. I measured the x and the y-axis along with the time it took for the object to slide all the way across the large ramp.

1. Homework Statement

find coefficient of friction, static and kinetic

2. Homework Equations
Fnet=ma
vf=vi+at



3. The Attempt at a Solution

What I have so far:
Procedure:
1. Measure the large block ramp
2. Increase theta until the block starts moving and stop. During this process, use a stop watch to measure how long the small block takes to travel the ramp.
3. Repeat this process for both the wooden on wood and felt on wood.
Explanation and justification:
By measuring the large block, you get the distance the smaller block will travel, whether it’s wood on wood or felt on wood. The stop watch measures how long it takes. With this information, we can get acceleration, which would then lead us to calculate the coefficient of friction.

For kinetic friction, I think it's something like this:
Fnet=ma
-k=ma
ukFf=ma

Not sure on rest...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What would be the proper steps to solve for both the static and kinetic friction though? I took measurements of the x and y lengths of every trial.
 
I have no way of knowing what x and y are. Your diagram does not display; perhaps it is only accessible to students enrolled. Perhaps you could copy it and put it up on photobucket for us.