How Do You Calculate the Final Speed of a Comet in Orbit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Qnslaught
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



(a) A certain comet of mass m at its closest approach to the Sun is observed to be at a distance r1 from the center of the Sun, moving with speed v1. At a later time the comet is observed to be at a distance r2 from the center of the Sun, and the angle between rvec2 and the velocity vector is measured to be θ. What is v2?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I thought it would be mv1cos(90-theta). But it's counting that wrong, and I only have one more attempt at this problem, and I'm not sure how to approach it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Angular momentum is conserved, so find expressions for the angular momentum at the two points and set them equal.