How Do You Calculate the Final Speed of Two Colliding Cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter shanshan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angle Collision
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 32K views
shanshan
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two cars, both of mass m, collide and stick together. Prior to the collision, one car had been traveling north at speed 2v, while the second was traveling at speed v at an angle x south of east (as indicated in the figure). After the collision, the two-car system travels at speed vf at an angle east of north. Find the final speed of the two cars after the collision


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


We assume momentum is conserved, so that
p(i) = p(f)
p(f) = (2m)vf
p(east) = cosx*mv
vf(easte) = (vcosx)/2
p(north) = 2mv - mvsinx
vf(north) = (2v-vsinx)/2

So now that I've figured all these values out, I know that I can use pythagoras' theorum to solve for vf:

vf = [(vcosx/2)^2+((2v-vsinx)/2)^2)]^1/2
= [(v^2cos^2(x)+v^2sin^2(x)+4v^2+2vsinx)/2]^1/2
= [(v^2(1)+4v^2-2vsinx)/2]^1/2 ---- using trig identity sin^2x+cos^x = 1
= [(5v^2-2vsinx)/2]^1/2

But this is not the answer - is anyone able to find any problems in my work, or can I simplify it further?
I am pretty sure the mistake must be at some point after I use pythagoras' theorum, but I can't seem to find it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Pull out the v/2 term first to make things cleaner. Take the square root at the end.

vf2 = (v/2)2*(cos(x)2 + (2 - sin(x))2)

= (v/2)2*( (1 - sin(x)2) + (2 - sin(x))2 )

proceed.
 
shanshan said:
vf = [(vcosx/2)^2+((2v-vsinx)/2)^2)]^1/2
= [(v^2cos^2(x)+v^2sin^2(x)+4v^2+2vsinx)/2]^1/2
= [(v^2(1)+4v^2-2vsinx)/2]^1/2 ---- using trig identity sin^2x+cos^x = 1
= [(5v^2-2vsinx)/2]^1/2

[(v^2cos^2(x)+v^2sin^2(x)+4v^2+2vsinx)/2]^1/2

here this should have been
[(v^2cos^2(x)/4+v^2sin^2(x)+4v^2-4vsinx)/2]^1/2