How Do You Calculate the Final Velocity of a Skydiver?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
KaseyK
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
This question was actually a 3 part question. I answered (a) and (b) correctly however I can't figure out how to calculate the 'final velocity of the skydiver'. Here are the givens:

x axis
v1 - 90 m/s
acceleration - zero
delta t - 10.6 seconds
delta d - 958.5 m

Y axis
v1 = 0
delta t - 10.6 seconds
acceleration = -9.8 m/s^2
delta d = 550 m

I was already asked to calculate the vertical velocity of the skydiver which was 100 m/s.

However now they want me to find the final velocity. I was thinking about using the equation:

V2= V1 + a (delta t)

When I use this equation though I don't come up with the right answer, which is supposed to be 130 m/s.

Help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you posted the whole question as stated to you since it's not clear what the situation is. "v1 - 90"?? I'm assuming you mean "v1 = 90"?? Anyway, i'll offer this advice: if the skydiver is not falling straight down, the final velocity will have two components to it (x and y). You need to find the resultant of those two components to get the final velocity.