How Do You Calculate the Height of a Waterfall Based on Temperature Change?

  • Thread starter Thread starter echoindia756
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
echoindia756
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Working out a value for H!?

Hi there!

I'm a new student to physics and I'm still learning a lot about it.
Our teacher recently gave a question and I'm not sure how to work out the answer, can anyone help me?

So here it goes:
Here's a waterfall (See pic), the water at the bottom of the waterfall is 1C hotter than the water at the top of the waterfall.

How would I work out a value for h?

Please see picture below for diagram

http://www.gadgetireland.com/images/uploads/pic1.jpg

Any help much appreciated!

Here is my attempt at solving the problem:

E = MC (delta) theta

= (Mass of water) (4200) ( theta + 1)--------------------------------------------
Potential energy = mgh

= M(9.8)(h)
--> 9.8mh = 4200 (mass)( theta + 1)

--> 9.8h = 4200( theta + 1)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org


LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

4200 or 4186 the method looks sound.

Right I understand that but I can't seem to get any further than the above.
 


echoindia756 said:
Right I understand that but I can't seem to get any further than the above.

Sorry I thought you had it.

Examine then the ΔE which by your equation can be written as

ΔE = m*C*ΔT

mgh = mC*ΔT

gh = C*ΔT

For a 1° change then

h = C/g