How does the rotation of Earth affect the height of a tidal bulge?

  • Thread starter Thread starter etotheipi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Height Tidal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
etotheipi
Homework Statement
Derive expressions for the gravitational field due to the moon at the near and far sides of the Earth, and use these to estimate the height ##h## of the tidal bulge of water. Assume the Earth is covered with a layer of water 1000m deep.
Relevant Equations
##g = \frac{GM}{r^{2}}##
I'm having some conceptual difficulty with this; here's what (little!) I've done so far.

Suppose the distance between the centres of the Earth and the moon is ##x## and that the radius of the Earth is ##r##, and let the gravitational field strength due to the moon at the near side, far side and centre of the Earth be ##g_{a}##, ##g_{b}## and ##g_{c}## respectively. Then

##g_{a} = \frac{GM_{m}}{(x-r)^{2}} \approx \frac{GM_{m}}{x^{2}}(1+\frac{2r}{x}) = g_{c} + \frac{2GM_{m}r}{x^{3}}##

and

##g_{b} = \frac{GM_{m}}{(x+r)^{2}} \approx \frac{GM_{m}}{x^{2}}(1-\frac{2r}{x}) = g_{c} - \frac{2GM_{m}r}{x^{3}}##

I'm at a loss for what to do next. I considered transforming into a rotating frame centred on the moon and imagined a mass element ##dm## at each bulge which would have a fictitous ##dm(x-r)\omega^{2}## acting (assuming ##h\ll r##) in addition to ##dmg_{a}## and the weight due to the Earth at a height ##h## above the surface, which I obtained to be ##dmg_{h} = dm(g_{E} -\frac{2GM_{E}h}{r^{3}})##. However, when I did the force balance and substituted in the known constants (plus taking ##\omega = \frac{2\pi}{(28)(24)(60)(60)}##), I got an answer for ##h## which was many orders of magnitude greater than common sense would suggest.

I then thought to see if I could work out the effective gravitational potential energy at the surface of the bulge and equate this to that at the poles (taking the surface of the water to be an equipotential). This threw out, when assuming the depth at the poles is 1000m,

$$h(g_{E} - \frac{GM_{m}}{x^{2}}(1+\frac{2r}{x})) = 1000g_{E} \implies h = 1000.0005m$$

which is only ##0.0005## metres higher than at the poles. So this has to be wrong as well.

I was wondering if someone point me in the right direction, thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not apparent to me how to solve this using the field strength. More obvious is to use potentials.

If you take it as static then you get that for a given distance from Earth's centre the GPE is least on the side facing the moon and greatest away from the moon, so that is clearly not going to give the right answer.
Allowing for the dynamics puts the least potential of all at Earth's centre, so I considered two parcels of surface water at the middle position (viewed moon on the horizon), then migrated one to the point nearest the moon and one the opposite way, taking both to end up at height x above where they started. It gave the right answer.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi