How Do You Calculate the Impact Speed of an Asteroid?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gawdany
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Impact Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Gawdany
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Suppose an asteroid of mass 3.9e21 kg is nearly at rest outside the solar system, far beyond Pluto. It falls toward the Sun and crashes into the Earth at the equator, coming in at an angle of 30 degrees to the vertical as shown, against the direction of rotation of the Earth. It is so large that its motion is barely affected by the atmosphere.

Mass.asteriod = 3.9e21 kg
Mass.Sun = 2e30 kg
Mass.Earth = 6e24 kg
Distance from Earth to Sun: 1.5e11 m
Grav Constant G: 6.7e-11

Homework Equations


Energy Principle
Using the energy principle to solve for the impact speed, I derive the following equation.
Kast + Use + Uas + Uae = Use
(.5)(3.9e21)v^2 -5.36e33 + Uas +Uae = -5.36e33


The Attempt at a Solution


Using the energy principle to solve for the impact speed, I derive the following equation.

Kast + Use + Uas + Uae = Use
(.5)(3.9e21)v^2 -5.36e33 + Uas +Uae = -5.36e33
My main problem is that I do not know how to calculate the potential energy for Uas and Uae because I do not know the distance from the asteriod and the sun, and the distance from the asteriod to the earth. If anyone can tell me how to figure this out I can easily solve for the impact speed. Please help me. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is surely NOT a good question

what is ast se as ae ... you ave used?
 
cupid.callin said:
This is surely NOT a good question

what is ast se as ae ... you ave used?


Sorry I thought that would be clear based on the context of the question. Uae = potential energy of the asteriod to the earth, Uas = potential energy of the asteriod to the sun, Use = potential energy of the sun to the earth. Where Grav potential energy = -Gm1m2/r, and my problem is finding the r for the distance from the asteriod and the sun, and the distance from the asteriod to the earth