Asteroid close encounter: speed at perigee

In summary: Everything worked out, I had been at that for hours, thank you for your guidance. I learned something new today.
rickyjoepr

Homework Statement

an asteroid heading towards earth, has a speed of 7.25 km/s as it passes the moons orbit, kit misses Earth by 5000km. What is the speed at the closest point to earth?

The professor provided us with the solution, which should be 11.0 km/s, however when I do the calculation, using the given values, my number is way off.

Is there a conversion I should be doing that I may not know about?

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy for an asteroid is
(.5) mVi^2-((GmMearth)/Ri) = (.5) mVf^2-((GmM_earth)/Rf)

The Attempt at a Solution

Vi = 7.25 km/s

Ri = distance from the moon to Earth = 384,000km
Rf = radius of Earth + 5000km = 11400km
Mearth =5.972x10^24

G = 6.67384x10^-11

solve for Vf

Vf = SQRT[ Vi^2 + 2GMearth ((1/Rf)-(1/Ri))] = 260475.0801

Physics news on Phys.org
rickyjoepr said:

Homework Statement

an asteroid heading towards earth, has a speed of 7.25 km/s as it passes the moons orbit, kit misses Earth by 5000km. What is the speed at the closest point to earth?

The professor provided us with the solution, which should be 11.0 km/s, however when I do the calculation, using the given values, my number is way off.

Is there a conversion I should be doing that I may not know about?

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy for an asteroid is
(.5) mVi^2-((GmMearth)/Ri) = (.5) mVf^2-((GmM_earth)/Rf)

The Attempt at a Solution

Vi = 7.25 km/s

Ri = distance from the moon to Earth = 384,000km
Rf = radius of Earth + 5000km = 11400km
Mearth =5.972x10^24

G = 6.67384x10^-11

solve for Vf

Vf = SQRT[ Vi^2 + 2GMearth ((1/Rf)-(1/Ri))] = 260475.0801
In your formulas, you use kilograms which is correct, but you need to use meters and not kilometers for distance as well as velocity (m/sec). The constant ## G ## works in meters, and the energy it computes works in m/sec. Once you solve for ## v_f ## in m/sec, you can then convert it back to km/sec.

Likes rickyjoepr
Charles Link said:
In your formulas, you use kilograms which is correct, but you need to use meters and not kilometers for distance as well as velocity (m/sec). The constant ## G ## works in meters, and the energy it computes works in m/sec. Once you solve for ## v_f ## in m/sec, you can then convert it back to km/sec.

I thought it was an issue with G, I was trying to convert G to km , but I will try what you suggested

edit: and even if i dd convert G to km, it would still be wrong as the kg Mass of Earth must work with m/s

rickyjoepr said:
I thought it was an issue with G, I was trying to convert G to km , but I will try what you suggested
The energy that your equation ## U=-GMm/r ## computes is in joules, so it is much easier to work with ## G ## in the M.K.S. system as is, and simply convert the velocities and distances, and convert ## v_f ## back at the end to km/sec.

Charles Link said:
The energy that your equation ## U=-GMm/r ## computes is in joules, so it is much easier to work with ## G ## in the M.K.S. system as is, and simply convert the velocities and distances, and convert ## v_f ## back at the end to km/sec.

Everything worked out, I had been at that for hours, thank you for your guidance. I learned something

Likes Charles Link

1. What is an asteroid close encounter?

An asteroid close encounter refers to when an asteroid comes within a certain distance to Earth, known as perigee, during its orbit around the sun.

2. How close does an asteroid need to come to be considered a close encounter?

The distance required for an asteroid to be considered a close encounter varies, but typically it is when an asteroid comes within 0.05 astronomical units (AU) or less from Earth's center.

3. What is the speed of an asteroid during a close encounter?

The speed of an asteroid during a close encounter can vary depending on its size and distance from Earth. However, on average, an asteroid can travel at speeds of up to 25,000 miles per hour during a close encounter.

4. How often do asteroid close encounters occur?

Asteroid close encounters are relatively common, with hundreds occurring every year. However, most are small and do not pose a threat to Earth.

5. Can asteroid close encounters have any impact on Earth?

In most cases, asteroid close encounters do not have any impact on Earth. However, larger asteroids that come very close to Earth during a close encounter could potentially pose a threat of impact in the future.