How Do You Calculate the Mass of a Cart in a Momentum Problem?

  • Thread starter Thread starter helen3743
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cart Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
helen3743
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Thank you--

Problem:
A 50 kg boy runs at a speed of 10 m/s and jumps onto a cart. The cart is initially at rest. If the speed of the cart with the boy on it is 2.50 m/s, what is the mass of the cart?

I don't know what to do. This probelem seems very simple but I don't know where to start.

These I know are the knowns:
vo(cart) = 0 m/s
vf(cart) = 2.50 m/s
vo(boy) = 10 m/s
vf(boy) = 2.5 m/s

So I know velocities and I know the mass of the boy.
Should I start off by finding the acceleration from F=ma, since I know a mass? But then I don't know how to find F. I know Fn = mg in the y component, but I don't know what I would use Fn next for. Am I supposed to use kinematics equations? But I don't know a, x, or time. Direction is needed, thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's much simpler than you think. Hint: What's conserved when the boy "collides" with the cart?
 
SO yeah, the net force is zero. This clue leads us to what principle pf physics, you know, with its own set of silly equations and all.
 
DaMastaofFisix said:
SO yeah, the net force is zero. This clue leads us to what principle pf physics, you know, with its own set of silly equations and all.

Care to expand / explain your comment DaMasta? Edit. perhaps this is best discussed in the pf lounge actually.

~H
 
Last edited: