How Do You Calculate the Moles of H₂SO₄ Needed for a Reaction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Adheesha
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
9 replies · 4K views
Adheesha
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
thread moved from technical forum: please ask HW questions in the HW forums, filling the template and showing your work
TL;DR Summary: Question about molarity and concconcentration

25 cm^(3) of NaOH solution with the molarity of 0.1moldm^(-3) Was measured to a pipette and added to a volumetric flask. Then by adding distilled water to the solution, the solution is diluted until the total volume is 250cm^(3) Find the number of moles of H₂SO required to react with 30.0cm(3) of the solution thus made.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mayhem said:
What is your own attempt?
0.0003 mol
Mayhem said:
What is your own attempt?
 
Adheesha said:
TL;DR Summary: Question about molarity and concconcentration

25 cm^(3) of NaOH solution with the molarity of 0.1moldm^(-3) Was measured to a pipette and added to a volumetric flask. Then by adding distilled water to the solution, the solution is diluted until the total volume is 250cm^(3) Find the number of moles of H₂SO required to react with 30.0cm(3) of the solution thus made.
The answer I got is 0.0003 mol.I just wanna know whether it's correct or not cuz I'm not sure about my answer
 
Borek said:
Assuming you meant H2SO4 - does it react 1:1 with NaOH?
NO.It reacts 1:2 with NaOH
 
Borek said:
Assuming you meant H2SO4 - does it react 1:1 with NaOH?
NO.It reacts 1:2 with NaO
Borek said:
Have you accounted for that?
I tried to solve the question and the answer I got was 0.0003 moles.can anybody tell me whether it's correct or not?
 
No, it is not correct, and I already pointed you to a reason why it is wrong.

Write reaction equation, calculate number of moles of NaOH, use the stoichiometry to calculate number of moles of H2SO4.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint
Borek said:
No, it is not correct, and I already pointed you to a reason why it is wrong.

Write reaction equation, calculate number of moles of NaOH, use the stoichiometry to calculate number of moles of H2SO4.
Ok thank you