How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Door?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
timnswede
Messages
100
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A uniform, thin, solid door has height 2.2 m, width .87m and mass 23kg. Find the moment of inertia for rotation on its hinges.

2. Homework Equations

I=∫x^2dm

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]The way I set it up was that I made into strips of length H (height) and width dr. dm=λHdr, where λ is mass over the length, H. But when I do the integral ∫r^2λHdr from 0 to r, I end up with ⅓mr^3, but it should be ⅓mr^2. Is lambda supposed to m/rH? If so, can someone explain why please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can check this, in order for dm to be a mass, ##\lambda## must have dimensions of mass/length^2. It is the mass density per unit area of door.
 
Orodruin said:
You can check this, in order for dm to be a mass, ##\lambda## must have dimensions of mass/length^2. It is the mass density per unit area of door.
Oh, well that makes sense, thank you. Sometimes I feel like it's the simplest things that I get stuck on.