How do calculate this moment of inertia?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
LCSphysicist
Messages
644
Reaction score
163
Homework Statement
Doubt conceptual about the inertia moment of a thin square
Relevant Equations
I = int dm r square
Inertia moment of a thin square side 2b about the center of mass...

I put the coordinates in the center of the square and came to:

Integral of (x²+y²)dm
=
Integral of (x²+y²)*(dxdy)M
But, the interval of the integral is [0,b] to x and y
And, since this consider just the integral of one quadrant, multiple by 4 to the total square

I get 8mb²/3 , which is four times more than the answer, 2mb²/3.
Where did i wrong?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: Doubt conceptual about the inertia moment of a thin square
Relevant Equations:: I = int dm r square

Inertia moment of a thin square side 2b about the center of mass...

I put the coordinates in the center of the square and came to:

Integral of (x²+y²)dm
=
Integral of (x²+y²)*(dxdy)M
But, the interval of the integral is [0,b] to x and y
And, since this consider just the integral of one quadrant, multiple by 4 to the total square

I get 8mb²/3 , which is four times more than the answer, 2mb²/3.
Where did i wrong?
Is m the mass of the square or of one quadrant?
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: LCSphysicist
haruspex said:
Is m the mass of the square or of one quadrant?
Omg thx