How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Sphere Using Shell Integration?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Zamba
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


calculate the moment of inertia of a sphere of mass M and radius R by integrating over thin shells

Homework Equations


Ishell=(2/3)mR2

The Attempt at a Solution


this is what i have so far
the sphere is decomposed into infinitesimal shells with surface area 4[tex]\pi[/tex]r2
the mass of each shell is dm=[tex]\rho[/tex](4[tex]\pi[/tex]r2)dr
after expanding rho and canceling terms I get
dm=(3m/r)dr

I=[tex]\int[/tex](2/3)(dm)r2dr from 0 to R.
I=2mrdr from 0 to R
this gives me I=mr2

does anyone see what I did wrong?
PS. those "pi" are not supposed to be powers. sorry, I'm not sure how to change them
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You did not replace dm with ρ(4πr2) under the integral sign. Instead, you integrated dm into m and then integrated over dr once more.
 
i'm sorry, i didn't write it all out

I=[tex]\int[/tex](2/3)dmr2 dr
from here I replaced dm with (3m/r)dr so i got

I=[tex]\int[/tex](2/3)(3m/r)r2 dr
then i got
I=[tex]\int[/tex]2mr dr from 0 to R
which gave me mr2
 
Zamba said:
... from here I replaced dm with (3m/r)dr...
And why is that correct? What expression did you use for the density?