How Do You Calculate the Speed of a Stone in a Sling?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Melchior25
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Brain
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Melchior25
Messages
30
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Young David who slew Goliath experimented with slings before tackling the giant. He found that he could revolve a sling of length 0.750 m at the rate of 10.0 rev/s. If he increased the length to 1.050 m, he could revolve the sling only 8.00 times per second.



What is the speed of the stone for each rate of rotation?

a) ... m/s at 10.0 rev/s

b) ... m/s at 8.00 rev/s

The Attempt at a Solution



I can probably figure this out but I forgot my book and don't want to guess. Please could you tell me the equation that I use.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is most likely the relationship between angular movement and tangential.
[tex]V_t=r \cdot\omega[/tex]

Casey
 
Thanks, I got it.

I just took the circumference and multiplied that by the rotations/sec.