How Do You Calculate the Summation of a Function from n=1 to Infinity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter darkmagic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Infinity Summation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
darkmagic
Messages
164
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



what is the summation of a function where n=1 to n=infinity?

For example, given a function sin[(pi)nt].

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I asking how I get that
I do not know what should I do
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi darkmagic! :smile:

(have a pi: π and an infinity: ∞ :wink:)
darkmagic said:
what is the summation of a function where n=1 to n=infinity?

For example, given a function sin[(pi)nt].

It's a different method in each case …

just choose the one that seems easiest.

In this case, either sum from n = 1 to N, and use the standard trigonometric identities for (sinA + sinB) etc, or (even easier :wink:) write it as Im(∑ einπt) :smile:
 
That is a Fourier series which is a huge field of mathematics in itself.