Is the Summation Converging in the Given Interval?

In summary: Why do you assume you have convergence at both end points?Because the radius of convergence is ##\pi## and the interval is ##sin(-\frac{\pi}{3}) < x < sin(\frac{\pi}{3})##. So both endpoints are within the interval.
Kernul

Homework Statement

I'm give the following summation of functions and I have to see where it converge.
$$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{(3 arcsin x)^n}{\pi^{n + 1}(\sqrt(n^2 + 1) + n^2 + 5)}$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Putting ##3 arcsin x = y##, I already see that with the theorem of D'Alambert I have a range ##r = \pi##.
The summation then converges in the interval:
$$|3 arcsin x| < \pi$$
which is
$$sin(-\frac{\pi}{3}) < x < sin(\frac{\pi}{3})$$
Now I don't know it the summation converges in the two external points, so I try with the first one and I get:
$$\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(\sqrt(n^2 + 1) + n^2 + 5)}$$
In this case, I decide to use the Leibniz criterion. So first I find if the summation converges to ##0## and then I find if decreases monotonically.
Doing the limit of the summation (minus the ##(-1)^n##) I get that it converges to ##0##.
Now, to find out if it decreases monotonically, I do the first derivative of the following:
$$f(n) = \frac{1}{(\sqrt(n^2 + 1) + n^2 + 5)}$$
and I end up with
$$f'(n) = -\frac{\frac{x}{\sqrt(x^2 + 1)} + 2x}{(\sqrt(n^2 + 1) + n^2 + 5)^2}$$
Now I have to put this ##>0## but due to the minus sign it will be ##<0##. The one at the denominator is always positive, so we have to look at only the numerator. We will have then:
$$\frac{x}{\sqrt(x^2 + 1)} + 2x < 0$$
But, strangely, I don't get how to continue from here.
Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
##x \mapsto \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}+2x## is positive for ##x>0##, negative for ##x<0## and zero at ##x=0##.

I do not understand how differentiating f(n) wrt n caused x to appear from nowhere.
Since 1/n2 converges, it is rather obvious that the sum you have converges at both ends of the range. Is there not a test along those lines?

Kernul said:

Homework Statement

I'm give the following summation of functions and I have to see where it converge.
$$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{(3 arcsin x)^n}{\pi^{n + 1}(\sqrt(n^2 + 1) + n^2 + 5)}$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Putting ##3 arcsin x = y##, I already see that with the theorem of D'Alambert I have a range ##r = \pi##.
The summation then converges in the interval:
$$|3 arcsin x| < \pi$$
which is
$$sin(-\frac{\pi}{3}) < x < sin(\frac{\pi}{3})$$
Now I don't know it the summation converges in the two external points, so I try with the first one and I get:
$$\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(\sqrt(n^2 + 1) + n^2 + 5)}$$
In this case, I decide to use the Leibniz criterion. So first I find if the summation converges to ##0## and then I find if decreases monotonically.
Doing the limit of the summation (minus the ##(-1)^n##) I get that it converges to ##0##.
Now, to find out if it decreases monotonically, I do the first derivative of the following:
$$f(n) = \frac{1}{(\sqrt(n^2 + 1) + n^2 + 5)}$$
Can someone help me?

You have ##f(n) = 1/d(n)##, where ##d(n) = \sqrt{n^2+1} + n^2+5## is a strictly increasing function of ##n##. No calculus is needed here: ##n^2## is increasing in ##n##, so ##\sqrt{n^2+1}## is increasing, as is ##n^2+5##. You are just adding two increasing functions.

fresh_42 said:
##x \mapsto \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}+2x## is positive for ##x>0##, negative for ##x<0## and zero at ##x=0##.
Why? How did you do that?

haruspex said:
I do not understand how differentiating f(n) wrt n caused x to appear from nowhere.
Since 1/n2 converges, it is rather obvious that the sum you have converges at both ends of the range. Is there not a test along those lines?
Sorry, my bad! I meant "n" where there was "x".

Ray Vickson said:
You have ##f(n) = 1/d(n)##, where ##d(n) = \sqrt{n^2+1} + n^2+5## is a strictly increasing function of ##n##. No calculus is needed here: ##n^2## is increasing in ##n##, so ##\sqrt{n^2+1}## is increasing, as is ##n^2+5##. You are just adding two increasing functions.
So it decreases monotonically? This means that both this and the other one for ##\frac{\pi}{3}## converge and so it all converges to the interval ##[-\frac{\pi}{3} , \frac{\pi}{3}]##?

Kernul said:
Why? How did you do that?Sorry, my bad! I meant "n" where there was "x".So it decreases monotonically? This means that both this and the other one for ##\frac{\pi}{3}## converge and so it all converges to the interval ##[-\frac{\pi}{3} , \frac{\pi}{3}]##?

Why do you assume you have convergence at both end points?

Kernul said:
Why? How did you do that?
##\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}+2x=x \cdot \underbrace{(2+\frac{1}{+\sqrt{x^2+1}})}_{>\,2}##

1. What is convergence of the summation?

The convergence of the summation refers to the behavior of a series as the number of terms increases. It is the process of determining whether a series will approach a finite value or diverge to infinity.

2. How do you determine if a summation converges?

To determine if a summation converges, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, root test, or comparison test. These tests examine the behavior of the terms in the series and can determine if the series converges or diverges.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series where the terms are always positive (or always negative) and the series converges to a finite value. Conditional convergence refers to a series where the terms alternate in sign and the series converges to a finite value, but the sum may change if the terms are rearranged.

4. Can a series converge to more than one value?

No, a series can only converge to one value. If a series converges, it means that the terms become smaller and smaller as the number of terms increases, eventually approaching a finite value. If the terms do not approach a single value, then the series diverges.

5. What is the importance of convergence of the summation in mathematics?

The convergence of the summation is important in mathematics because it allows us to determine the behavior of infinite series. It also has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where infinite series are used to model real-world phenomena.